I agree it can’t be any type of hickory. Hickory doesn’t dry that fast and when it is dry it isn’t lightweight. Bark looks like basswood to me....
It’s been reported sporadically in different areas. That’s another great reason to kill these host trees. I’m always on the lookout for either the...
After two years of these nasty tree of heavens being girdled, they’re starting to snap and fall down :) There’s a nice hole in the canopy and a...
Poor cow. [ATTACH]
In the case of the original article it was an ugly situation for all. For the person that got seriously injured and lost wages, for the farmer...
Exactly my thoughts. Animals get loose. Farmers are having a tough enough time as it is without dealing with lawsuits. A couple years ago there...
Yep, rural southeastern Connecticut.
39/69 apple and Norway maple, which will be the staple until the burning season closes.
Glad you were able to positively identify it and more importantly, get it split. One thing I noticed about Tupelo is that the bark varies a lot...
Too lean for the die hard 40:1 guys, too rich for the 50:1 zealots.
https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/new-london/man-hits-cow-on-interstate-395-in-montville-get-1-3m/
Very interesting. Most of my ancestors left Germany and arrived in the New World in the late 1800s up until the Great Depression. My paternal...
I know, right? 6 months ago I was driving by piles of dead oak poles, turning my nose up at all of them. Now all of a sudden I'm drooling over...
30/70 apple, Norway maple and one split of white oak.
BL and the aspen my coworker is bringing over, and the beech I’m going to be hacking up at my BIL’s house in a few weeks, plus whatever scores pop...
Pile to be stacked is growing. [ATTACH] All that’s left to split are these oddball pieces. Some I’ll have to cut to length, others will end up...
Blow over from a couple months ago when we had that storm roll through near Christmas time. Same road as where I got the black oak but closer to...
15 more with a couple loads left, still ripe for the taking. Gorgeous here at 55 and sunny. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]
As a machinist I thought I knew a thing or two about cutter geometry. I also thought for the longest time that hand filing chains was a dumb...
He’s a bonafide wood magnet :) When he came to my house last in December I took him for a short ride to show him the black locust grove at the...