The tree nerd in me is really curious about this one. Do you know what species this stump is? Since you live in the historical range of them, it...
Another vote for old growth Douglas Fir. Good on you for recognizing its worth. I have some I saved from the landfill, just waiting for the right...
28 on the Mercury, elm, apple and sugar maple in the stove. [ATTACH]
29 and holding overnight, more or less. Just got the last load of the evening going; a mix of spruce, sugar maple and one fat split of elm up...
[MEDIA]
You’ve definitely earned your keep. Oh to live in a place where hedge and honey locust grow wild, where you can second guess yourself whether or...
Nice! I don’t know why your syrup has that red tint to it, but that looks gorgeous. I’ll bet it tastes even better too. :yes:
Another small success :) I don’t mind doing small batches whatsoever. It’s a lot of fun. [ATTACH]
Not wanting to drag this out for another day (or more) I ended up bringing the pot outside and leaving it on my propane burner for a couple hours....
Answer from another noob: a good rolling boil will get the water evaporated fast. A low boil works, albeit slowly.
20 and rising to around 40 later. Currently burning down a deep bed of maple coals with some 2 1/2 year dried spruce.
I wonder if I had an RO system if I could process this measly 10 gallons of sap in a single day on my stove? I think I need an RO system anyway ;)
If I don’t fill the pot up too high it evaporates faster, but I don’t dare keep the level low overnight or when I go to work. Overnight when I...
Yes… glacier pace. I’m about halfway there.
It’s a good thing whoever was shooting at you for taking that nice red oak was a bad shot and only double tapped the sign above your cab...
It was nice to finally get a proper FHC-sized load for a change :thumbs:
It was only 17 degrees when I left work at 11am to hit this score. It felt great working outside in that temperature though. The snow had just...
Deepest condolences brother. It’s never easy letting our closest companions and family members go. You’re not walking this path alone. :handshake:
I was hoping a news truck would randomly drive by and do an interview. “Here in so and so’s America, this local man was so desperate to stay warm...
I personally blame you for these dead oak scores as of late ;) Seeing you go after all that nice chestnut oak has me FOMO-ing like you wouldn’t...