I found that if I want to beat the squirrels to them (before they open up) harvest in late September and let them finish ripening indoors, inside...
From where you took that picture behind those chairs, I swear it looks like you photoshopped a miniature version of your wife into the frame...
Yikes. That's one heck of a swing :picard:
Learned something new today: Cephalanthus occidentalis - Wikipedia [ATTACH] [ATTACH]
There’s only so many things with opposite branching… I wonder if it’s some kind of viburnum shrub?
I have a few thoughts, but first: What does it smell like? If you buck a piece and split it, how does it split and what does the grain look like?
I catch myself studying pallets way more than any normal person should :loco: :crazy:
The leaf looks like a few different things but the fruit narrows it down quite a bit. Another vote for hackberry.
We have virtually unlimited storage area if we keep building upward, but there comes a point when it’s neither feasible nor practical, and gravity...
At some point the kids who built this BMX track in the woods rode away and never came back. Looks like it’s been abandoned for well over 30 years....
Here's another tool for anyone interested. If you have an iPhone you can use leaf pictures to get you in the ballpark anyway, without an app. It's...
The top surface looks relatively flat, almost like the log was "2 sided" top and bottom with a saw to make it sit flat, stacked. It could be the...
She's got style, she's got grace, but no horse face. ;) Not much surprises me anymore.
When do they ripen? There’s a ton of them I come across in my travels.
Interesting! Any chance that log was hand worked and could’ve been part of a dam for an old mill along the stream? The way the weathered outside...
Nice get. :salute: Does cherry end up in general cordage for you or do you put it aside as a specialty wood?
LOL I know. It’s just a starchy title for the municipal employee who is responsible for executive decisions involving trees growing on city...
In the case of the chestnut, none are immune but some have varying levels of resistance to the blight. Chestnut's ability to sprout from the roots...
Not beech related specifically, but the same concept applies. Between EAB, BLD, and spongy (gypsy) moths, there will be plenty of ecological...
Agreed. To eat them as a snack, I found 4 at a time makes sense, then spit out the pits. I have a large tupperware container full at this point so...