I’ve seen that on ash where the bark fell off while standing dead, like elm.
Nothing wrong with crocks if that’s your thing. At no point have I ever looked down upon a fellow lounging around his house or working in his...
Lol I’m not a crock-wearer, patriotic or otherwise. Those were some late night pictures my coworker sent me as he was finishing up. Yeah I do...
A coworker of mine owed me a favor so I gave him the actuating rod to weld a couple gussets in at the two bend locations. Before, the weight of...
American chestnut trees themselves have been considered functionally extinct for 80+ years so not too many people have seen the lumber from them....
I think you'd want some type of sled if you were going to get serious about it. That way it won't roll on you, and the sled will keep the kerf...
About 4’ sections, but only 5-6” diameter. I’m sure I could do longer pieces provided they’re relatively straight to begin with. I wouldn't...
Brad, my coworker bought a Grizzly vertical bandsaw last year to start playing around with milling 12" and smaller diameter logs. He said it...
A little late for April fool's day Brad ;) Wow! I guess your dry spell is officially over! :dex:
At first I was confused since my understanding was that it's a shrub. Apparently there is the autumn olive shrub I'm familiar with in my area,...
I'm not quite done with summer yet, but I'll put it this way: If someone were to offer me a day trip in the FHC corporate helicopter, to be...
I suppose it's finally not so taboo anymore? Either that or it's just another psyop. Whistleblower tells Congress the US is concealing...
The truly were the Redwoods of the east.
I was thinking arborvitae too. Not enough knots for eastern red cedar and the heartwood color is wrong. End grain is fuzzy too just like the...
Hint on the last picture. Where were these guys heading? [ATTACH]
Welcome and good to have you here. I would definitely agree you're on the right track with ensuring you have dry wood, as standard operating...
Welcome and yes, a lot of species are easier to split green. In my own experience, hickory and apple come to mind.
I've looked at those leaves, and looked and looked some more. :loco: :crazy: I'm reasonably confident that's European AKA Sweet Chestnut, Castanea...
Was this chestnut bur at the storage area I’ve been to? It’s Chinese or Japanese chestnut for sure, but probably Chinese since they’re more widely...
Yeah positive. It’s ring-porous like BL but the weight’s not there. That and it’s got an unmistakable smell, plus the workability. It’s soft as...