C’mon man, where’s the FHC spirit? Let’s not split hairs here over the fact that it’s a spruce and not a pine. There’s a man in need of free tree...
You're getting a heck of a deal at $5 :thumbs: Way better than tarps, I can assure you. What do you do with the holes, glob a little sealant on there?
It’s in the low 60s and drizzling here, which feels like fall. Evidently this red maple by the swamp agrees. [ATTACH]
I see faint medullary rays and a punky outer sapwood ring so oak it is. Judging by the rings the tree grew fast in it's early years, slowed down,...
If I kick the bucket please don't let them put "big pharma was right" on my headstone :picard:
Update: About 7 hours ago I ate my first ripe pokeweed berry (spitting out the seeds). I'm obviously still kicking :) Not a terrible flavor, but...
Same here. It was never known as a premier lumber like quarter sawn white oak, cherry or walnut, but as a strong, light and durable building...
Thanks, the trailer looks fantastic. :yes:
Good possibility, especially if Chestnut was abundant in the local area where the house was built. Chestnut is notoriously strong and lightweight...
Red maple was a possibility, and I even thought elm but don't see the typical layered cookie look elm has when looking at a cross section of the...
Hey the tree's only been down for 3 years, and it's only been 2 years and 3 months since we worked on it. I take full responsibility for the...
I almost brought up that red oak myself, but it haunts me enough as it is. Maybe this spring I'll focus on that instead of trying to bring home 27...
Brad, to roll it are you sure you can't thread an eye bolt into it, hook a chain to it and give it a good yank with the Ford? ;) That's a lot of...
Nice little grab. A couple years back I scrounged a downed roadside shagbark limb that was worse off than that, full of bug holes to boot. Didn't...
Another old school trick is to char the ends of the posts that are going in the ground. Build a small fire and rotate the post ends a few times...
Yeah it's wild. There's a row of planted trees and some smaller ones that popped up naturally in the area, so somehow they're multiplying. Not...
My first fire is usually a false start to the burning season. Typically around the tail end of September we'll have those one or two mornings that...
You got it :thumbs: I know they're fairly common where you're at, but there aren't too many out this way, and very few that produce pods. Mostly...
Guess what I’m planting next year :banana: It’s not too often I find naturalized versions of these that have escaped cultivation and are...
Stay tuned Brad, I can't wait to show you pictures of this sweet load of nuggets, mill log, and stump for cookies I got early this morning while...