Either shagbark or possibly shellbark. It should make good firewood regardless :thumbs:
The bark varies a lot with site conditions and age but Jason called it correctly first, American elm.
Just the 029 on the day we worked that locust score. I kind of had a feeling that would happen :emb: Once I get to work using one particular saw,...
Good to hear. My grandfather had this model 61 and a model 40, which my uncle still has. I think this is going to be a great saw for me. It’s got...
The cylinder has a few scores, and definitely some aluminum from the piston transferred onto the walls. There’s plenty of the original cross hatch...
I’m thinking just bigger logs. I want to use this saw sparingly and not as a general work saw. But… we’ll see how much I like it once I really try...
My (correct) chains arrived safely this morning. I’m really digging the look of this saw wearing a 24” bar :thumbs: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]
42 overcast and damp for what feels like the 147th day in a row. Burning black cherry, red oak, yellow birch scraps, and a little Kentucky Coffee...
I’m finally getting into this saw this week. Since the choke is integrated into the air filter, I bought one and a new fuel line and filter, since...
It looks more like red maple to me. Silver maple has more of a shaggy-looking bark.
It's interesting how we don't all get the same results burning the same species. Black cherry for me lasts a while in the coaling stage (but...
That was exactly my experience with bitternut hickory. It put out a lot of heat, but it didn't live up to the hype with the burn time. It left a...
42 raw and drizzling. Burning a mixed load with one split of ash, one of black cherry, one of red oak, and a couple scraps of yellow birch and...
The state has been clearing trees along route 9 northbound in Cromwell too, at nighttime nonetheless. I come through there at about quarter to...
Agreed, the timber form looks like tulip poplar (dead straight) but the wood color/grain isn’t right and those don’t look like TP seeds hanging...
All of the elm I cut today will get halved next year. The next time I cut there I’ll get more of the top, which is smaller diameter stuff I don’t...
Limited time to cut today, but every little bit helps. A little more black locust plus some elm, because it was convenient and a nice size to work...
Has anyone tried this? Seems like a good skill to add to your arsenal. Part 1: [MEDIA] Part 2: [MEDIA]
It ended up being just shy of a face cord of locust. I plan to get at least another load this winter, once inventory under cover plummets some...
I haven’t cut any dead/down/barkless black locust since the summer of 2020. I forgot how nice it splits. I swear the bulk of it is dry enough to...