I guess I got to where I was headed. I had this 18” 0.325 beater chain for my Stihl with a crazy amount of beak and not many sharpenings left in...
42 and raining all day. It felt kind of raw in the house so I started a small red oak fire which I had already staged up the other day.
I think I burned maybe 3-4 pieces of BL this year, and only because they were on the rack under my deck left over from last year. I was burning...
Grocery store prices unfortunately. Kind of a bummer I didn’t have more time this year to do a couple more boils. Just been busy these past few...
It amounted to about 2/3 of a large jar of finished syrup, which I added to this jar from a previous batch that was running low. I’m hoping for a...
Last boil of the season, the long term forecast spells doom for maple sap. I pulled my taps yesterday. I only have about 6 1/2 gallons to boil so...
The buds are alternate rather than opposite arrangement so that rules out ash. I’m leaning towards hickory/pecan now.
You are the official FHC king of chestnut oak!
Do you square file your chains in a vise or on the saw with the bar pinched in a vise? I did this one with the chain pinched to one side of the...
Incremental improvement. I have a little forward lean to the side plate now. The angle of the top plates are a little shallow, like milling...
A few more oddball scraps. [ATTACH]
I owe Chinesium Oregon bars an apology. I just froze the sprocket twice on the Stihl Rollomatic bar on my 029 super, running Husqvarna bar oil. So...
Cool unit! That’s funny I never even heard of Plymouth Sugarworks. I looked them up and they’re only about 5 miles away from me. I’ve probably...
My neighbor across the street had 2 Norway maples just like that taken down last week. I was almost ready to inquire about the wood but it seems...
Dries slow Hard to cut-abrasive on chains Heavy Leaves a ton of ash The only upside is high BTUs :)
Higher resolution potato: [ATTACH]
The solution for me: go from the outside-in on one side, and inside-out on the other side. Weird but it works.
Let’s see some twig pictures when you get a chance Jim. Especially the ends/buds.
Opposite branching compound leaf and hollow center pith makes me think ash, as does the appearance of the wood grain. But the leaf edges are...
Yukon Gold to be exact. I have to walk away from this for a bit. One side of the chain came out mint, while the other is a mess. Top plate angle...