I hear you. It can't come soon enough. Asparagus is welcome after a long winter. Mine is still aways away. The frost just went out a few days ago....
In the meantime, the getting is good now, and it is the best food imaginable. For us it is very cost effective since we don't travel far to do it,...
Its dark now, but the birds are singing. Green up is happening fast now. Will be heading out to the garden at first light to turn the compost and...
I had a light morning at work with one evaluation at the clinic to do from 7-9am. So I did that, finished up a few reports, and then went to our...
I can relate to this sentiment. Anyone old enough to have lived through a couple economic downturns, especially the last one, should have learned...
They are very industrious and persistent animals for sure. I have heard of guys destroying their dams over and over only to find them rebuilt...
That reminds me of a few springs we had up north of Grand Marais, MN in the early 90s. I keep a detailed phenology journal that now encompasses...
Another tip to consider is to add a one time a bag of composting worms to a finished pile, even in colder zones 3 and 4. I did this on a whim...
If you go big enough for high temperatures, the diversity of nutrients imparted by using animal waste from one's hunting/fishing/backyard pest...
[ATTACH] The compost piles started heating up just before the last snowstorm this past week. Despite 10" of new snow there was no snow on top of...
[ATTACH] Garlic growing through mulch and snow today. I have 130 in this 10X4' bed.
[ATTACH] Compost is now heating up toward 140f. Spring must be here! [ATTACH] Yup...Garlic coming through mulch and snow!
Pike is pretty darn good out of the smoker, and the winter caught bass are really good too. My favorite overall fish to to smoke is lake trout...
[ATTACH] Brined pike and a bass [ATTACH] Into the smoker with some apple wood on the coals.
[MEDIA] Probably a bit esoteric for some, if not most people these days: Lauren and Hardy. Love these old films...harkening back to simpler...
[ATTACH] 30f, overcast, no wind finally. This feels good right now...poplar and black ash again. They are saying 47f and sunshine for tomorrow.
My wife and I are relaxing with a nice big blaze in the old hearth...black ash and poplar mix. If feels so good. We are still cold here. It snowed...
nice! I can't wait to get into my woods up north after we get through this latest snowstorm and things dry out again...hopefully it will be before...
I think the wind may be coming your way yet BWS. We are in the midst of storm winds now, with gusts to 53mph, thunder and sleet. We had 6-8" of...
The frost just come out of a few of my raised beds yesterday so I planted spinach, kale, lettuce, chard, radish, and peas. The rhubarb and garlic...