Thanks for sharing that. I know silver and red also hybridize in the wild too.
I've heard of it but it's more of a midwestern tree as I understand it. IIRC some people consider it a subspecies of sugar maple. I wouldn't doubt...
I've never found one in the woods around here, only on the riverbanks where the soil is sandy and they get lots of sun. They're a floodplain tree....
That is what some call a mountain laurel hell. Beautiful to walk through in late May-early June when in bloom.
[ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]
I see what you’re up to Jonathan Y ;) You bring in a piece of long dead white oak, hold it over your kitchen sink, smother the end in honey and...
That's a lot of grueling work during the summer heat, but it looks like you're good to go for the season now. The shed looks nice all painted, and...
Exactly. We support each other's firewood fetish, and cosign each other's BS :)
American chestnuts, Dunstan hybrids (which are well over 75% Chinese, very little American genetics) or some other kind? I grow American and...
Believe me, I've been hounding him for over a year now :whistle: The guy would fit right in, but doesn't want to be on social media...
Earlier this week the homeowner reached out to my coworker asking if we’d PLEASE come back to take more. Feeling a little sympathy for him we both...
Splits without bark dry faster. Split into thin “boards” 2-3” thick x 6-9” wide should dry well in a year, provided they’re stacked in ideal...
It's in the high 80s today but relief is knocking on the door now: [ATTACH]
I’ve made a few batches of various jellies that didn’t set well. Getting the right amount of pectin thoroughly incorporated into the juice can be...
I may have taken some inspiration from you with this approach :emb: In a lot of ways it makes more sense than to process all of these little...
The staging area here at home is quickly filling up with plenty of white/red oak, to be processed in the cooler weather this fall. I’m really...
Thanks Scotty. I sure wish I got more of it, but I’ll take any amount I can get. For all around use it’s probably my favorite.
100% agree on the trailer. I have one I bought a couple years ago but other projects have taken priority in the meantime. Whether it’s for hauling...
I went up to my coworker’s house yesterday (close to the Massachusetts border) and grabbed a load of this white oak, then went to pick up a...
Exactly, Cheshire area right before hopping on 691.