Topping refers to cutting the whole top out of a tree. Like this: [ATTACH] It's bad practice because the tree awakens all its dormant buds and...
Isn't that interesting. Around here if you look at cherry sideways it splits itself with the fiskars x25. I just wish I could get it to stack...
Yep American and red are the hardest to split. They offer the most btus as well. Slippery and chinese/Siberian are easier to split. I've split...
Honestly unless its white oak I'll take ash, most maple, cherry, and even birch all day long over most Red oak. It's not that I don't like red...
Topping is a terrible idea Rodger. Pruning is fine but if your going to the extreme of topping on most trees you may as well have them removed.
Mayhap its slippery elm or Siberian/Chinese elm. One things for sure it'll burn better than a snowball!:whistle:
Too bad! For future reference it makes great firewood.:thumbs:
Concur with the elm diagnosis. It's not red elm so should split okay without hydro. Could always noodle it into quarters if you had to.
Fun fact in the PNW the guy who tops the spar and rigs the cable in this picture is also known as a "pimp" . The only pimpin' I've done in my...
All I see is firewood! Nice ash chaz!
Been really happy with my gravely ZTHD. Built like a tank.
I have limited experience using the tree service side of chipdrop. I really like it! Chips for residential use from tree services are kind of...
Congratulations! Admittedly I'm a bit jealous. Alas I'll have to save my pennies for awhile before I can afford mine.
Doesn't get much heavier than white oak in your area Dennis. What a fun tree to work on. Very peaceful back there by the love...er sugar shack.
Fix'd for ya:rofl: :lol:
I cut a lot of it. I'm sure you remember how much I have here at my place.
Ash leafed maple, Manitoba Maple, box elder... whatever you call it if you hurry up and css it it will season in about 6 months like other soft...
Not sure about the ashes but the leaves are a great weed deterring mulch.
Wow that's going to be one badass machine when your finished bud! Pro tip on the steel prices: make friends with a guy in a steel supply shop. :dex:
X2 black walnut for sure. Gooder btus in a stove. Stinky btus in a campfire or fireplace.