Still an Oak though. The whole Oak family is phenomenal for firewood. Easy splits, great heat, fairly rot and bug resistant, readily available in...
I figure each trailer is 5/8 of a cord. I got 3 yesterday and 3 more today. So 30/8 or just under 4 cords is what I have thus far. Probably a...
Third and final load of the day I was anxious to get done and get home. I worked up some more of the tree from todays first load and had bucked...
Had another productive day!!! I got there around 9 this morning. Started off bucking some of the second half of the tree that i took down last...
New day, new battle!!! Today we have two more superstars of the heating world!!! In the red corner we have White Oak, coming in at 24.2 MBTU per...
I was surprised when my SIL started helping her son and rolled some 24” diameter rounds up the trailer ram. Woman power!!! :tree:I was definitely...
I’ve done both methods. I think they take similar amounts of time, but noodling is easier.
According to the property record card it was built in 1971, which seems right for the type of construction. I’ll see if I can count the rings for...
I’m going to noodle them small enough to lift onto the trailer
There was also another Oak that got broken by this tree. Probably 20”-22” across and what’s left is about 25’ tall. I shall take that as well....
I’m not sure. The half I cut last made my SIL nervous. First me climbing the 40’ extension ladder to tie the rope off, then that it would hit his...
The biggest pieces of the trunk I’ll get better pics of when I go back. Pics don’t do this tree justice
Oh, learn something new everyday. So correction the stump was 50”. Still a big ole’ tree
Only a small portion of the inside of the trunk was rotten. Lots of meat left on the perimeter. I’d say the middle 12”-18” across was rotten maybe...
I really wasn’t looking for more Oak, but they’re family and this takedown would have cost at least $1500. Plus I got to play with some toys
How tall do the Ponderosa’s get? In pics they look like they are pretty damm tall
That’ll be really cool when done. Looking forward to the after installed pics!!!
I may go back either tomorrow or Saturday and finish up. At least the hard stuff is done. After mentioning a certain Pumpkin Ale from a local...