Great post, Dave! I am forever grateful of the men and women who sacrificed all to give us our freedoms, I do not take those freedoms lightly!!
Looks like black locust the me, too.... A pic of a split will help determine that....
We certainly enjoyed your visit as well, what a great time we all had there, and we can say we have extended family in Australia! Tell your...
I feel horrible for the residents affected by this event, hope everyone can rebound......
I'm leaning towards buckthorn as well... Welcome to the club, Wooden Beard !
There are many members here that burn pine, spruce and fir exclusively, that's pretty much all they have in their geographic location.... The...
I'm glad I'm not the only one.....lol
My youngest son and best friend Dan turned 19 yesterday, man has the time flown! Many of you have met him at the GTG's and know first hand what a...
A local friend of mine was splitting wood with his wife years ago and something similar happened, but the exploding piece of wood hit his wife in...
A closer zoom-in of that and grain really looks like oak, but I'm still not sure.....lol
That end grain, bark and fibrous, papery cambium layer remind me of black locust, but the color of the wood is off........ Make a split and see...
Good stuff, save some heartwood for the smoker!
I'd also recommend staying with the narrow kerf bar and chain (3/8- .043). Allows the saw to work more like a fillet knife....lol
No problem, my friend!
Well thank you buddy, she's gonna be humbled by that! I'll definitely tell her this evening when I get home....
Done, my friend.... And FWIW, the MS170 is a great little saw, we have two of them.....
Looks incredible buddy! Have you seen any of my wife's restorations? She's gained quite a name for herself here in our area...
White oak is definitely denser than red oak, but I've often wondered if "time of year" plays a part, especially dealing with oaks. Seems to me...
Ouch........I was horrified when Leadfarmer 's daughter lost two of her fingers running the splitter.......be careful, buddy! I'm glad it wasn't...
Ooh that's some primo stuff!