I can get full 1x3 lathe at my local hardware/lumber store. Normal stock item.
Hit the nail on the head. :heidi: I've done it both ways now and it the final product completely depends on the pride and the integrity of the...
If you have red pine logs, go for it. Another neat trick, if you are in a pinch, you can buy a bunch of 1x3x8' plastering lathe boards (very...
A little planning ahead of time can really help. The first time I did a big job (1250 bd-ft of red oak), I pulled everything off and dead stacked...
My old sawyer was really quick with his saw and he sawed by the hour. One time he worked me so hard I literally puked. We slowed down a little...
Last guy I had in sawed about 1500 bd-ft in 8 hrs. That was at a very relaxed rate with just me helping off-bearing and stacking on stickers....
My friend who runs a large production mill up in NW Pa always says "Never bet against metal in walnut." An he has an log sized metal detector...
Wish I could help out when you all are sawing.
You should be fine Shawn.
FWIW, you can often see black staining of iron oxides on the butt end of the log if there is iron/ steel in it. I learned that from a Sawyer...
This is full on Shaker style. I made a pair of them.
Awesome. That machine will "do work!"
Final details, scraped/planed and a preliminary finish of thinned spar varnish. I used all rift sawn lumber. That"s why it's all straight grain....
It's going outside but under a porch roof. I could probably get away with anything, but I suppose I'll use marine spar varnish.
Oops. Here's the pict.
I got the joinery done today, so here's a dry fit up. Still have details, finishing and glue up.
I store the kiln-dried in my workshop, the fully air-dried in my pole barn and the drying boards outside on sticks and under steel roofing.
I roughly milled and glued up the top and legs last night. Cleaned up the glue and finished milling the legs this morning. Then milled up the...
The wife asked for a new table for our little outdoor cooking area, so I got started today. First job, did out the rough lumber. I have some...
Way to sneak the chainsaw in with the food dude