In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Outside spigot plumbing question

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Midwinter, May 22, 2019.

1. Fifelaker

Fifelaker

It's a frost free faucet as mentioned. They are all very similar in construction, but the rebuild kits are not interchangeable unfortunately. Shut the water off to it, pull the green handle off, remove the packing nut and the stem with the seat on the end will unscrew from the body. I don't recognize the brand, but the seat and packing should be sold at any decent plumbing supply house. If the air admittance valve is bad you will have to find the exact brand of valve to replace it

2. Fifelaker

Fifelaker

I forgot to mention when installed they should be slanted down a bit so when the air admittance valve opens the water will drain out as the seat is at the end of the stem which is anywhere from 8" to 16". If it is not sloped correctly there will alyays be water in them and cause problems when it gets below freezing.

3. Midwinter

Midwinter

This is great info! The faucet doesn't seem to be sloped down, it seems to be level. The brand and model is UPC 1019-A anti-siphon. I better get to a plumbing supply place and get a repair kit before everything shuts up tight for the weekend.

4. Fifelaker

Fifelaker

Unfortunately Those #'s are not the brand or model.
    ASSE 1019 and UPC Approved ... *The 630-7755 Wall Hydrant Repair Kit includes parts for the 300, 400 and 500 Series hydrants, some of which ...
    1019 and UPS are I also noticed when I got on a computer rather than my phone that there is the wedge behind the flange. That wedge gives you the correct angle Even on the computer I can't tell the brand.

[​IMG]
    This is a random pic, but they are all similar in construction.

Loon, Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  5. Midwinter

Midwinter

Maybe we can tell more once we get it apart. Thanks again!

Loon, Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

7. Midwinter

Midwinter

8. Midwinter

Midwinter

We made some progress. It is an Arrowhead, which my husband found out by doing a Google picture search. The oval knob was the giveaway. So, we need to get a replacement stem. They come in different lengths, so we will need to take the old one out and measure it. There's a YouTube video of how to do it.

9. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

They are well worth the money, it saves from frozen pipes in the house but require the hose be removed during freezing weather so that the whole thing can drain and be free of water. As with anything the cost is correlative with quality, and this model is a cheapo...

10. Chaz

Chaz

Cost is definitely minimal compared to frozen/burst pipes.

Just seems that in a very short Google search, there were many instances of this exact problem with them.
    :hair:

As to quality, well the standards have been in decline for decades now.
    :confused:

11. Midwinter

Midwinter

This was installed in 2015. (Made in USA).
    I was shutting off the water before freezing temps, too.

12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

it doesn't matter if its level...you can't stack water.

just make SURE you disconnect the hose when it's cold out. because frost free hose bins freeze and break just as fast as any other hose bib when the hose is connected.

13. Midwinter

Midwinter

Well, this isn't a DIY project anymore, it's a CTP (Call The Plumber). We couldn't get the screw in the handle loose, or the nut on the body of the thing. At least I was able to give a detailed description of the job. He comes next Friday.

14. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Be ready for him to cut drywall to replace the whole thing with a good one....

15. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

That is an Arrowhead Brass frostfree anti siphoning spigot. They are made in California.

16. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

17. Highbeam

Highbeam

I believe they drill the hole in the stem so that it breaks away like a fire hydrant. My new faucet has that hole too. Now they are mostly 1/4 turn too so you only turn the knob 90 degrees like a ball valve.

18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Look like a quality residential grade spigot to me...we use Zurn at work but they are EXPENSIVE! 2" yard hydrant they wanted over $700 for a rebuild kit! (not much to that kit either!)
    Anyways...here is the manual on this spigot (I think) read bottom of page 4...probably the issue Midwinter. Lots of good info in this repair guide!
    http://champion-arrowhead.com/media/wysiwyg/PDFs/Frost-Free_Hydrant_Guide.pdf
    421 Series Anti-Siphon Frost-Proof Hydrant: 3/4" Wirsbo Inlet - Products
    Products

19. Midwinter

Midwinter

Yes, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 inch stem assemblies, no way to know until the thing is apart. My husband thinks the plumber will order the correct part, I am less optimistic, I think he will want to take it out and start fresh. Great find on the manual, at least I can show it to the plumber.
    That's what happened, the hose was left on for long periods of time. I guess that's a no-no. Maybe it's just the check assembly.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah that's a new one to me too and I have worked with this stuff for years! (although mostly Zurn brand...which is full blown industrial/commercial stuff)

T.Jeff Veal, wildwest, Chaz and 2 others like this.