In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trailer electric brakes...

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Chvymn99, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Nixon

Nixon

If you don’t care to solder and heat shrink your connections ,these work very well if you have a good heat gun . Heat Shink Shield Solder Sleeves | Crimpless | Waterproof

2. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Soldering, heat the wires not the solder. The solder melts when it touches the hot wires. If you melt the solder with the iron you get no penetration....

3. nsmaple

nsmaple

Never seen those before. Do they have some kind of special solder in them? Doesn't seem right being able to melt solder with a heat gun. I have a trailer re-wiring project to do this summer sometime whenever I can get around to it. Not really looking forward to it even though it is only a small trailer with no brakes.

Screwloose and Chvymn99 like this.
  4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Yea... saw them on amazon yesterday while searching... I was wondering about them...

Screwloose likes this.
  5. Nixon

Nixon

Don’t know what type of solder is used . But they are very effective . We used similar type splices on aircraft wiring . You have to overlap the wires for this type of splice to work . They are not a typical butt splice. You also need a heat gun that concentrates the heat around the splice for it to work best .

6. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Small trailers are easy.. 10' trailer. 4' tongue. Buy 25' of wire run thru frame.. Do not cut short.. Leave extra in coil, zip ties to frame. Mines in glav. Electrical conduit that was laying around..

When plugs go bad cut off 6 inches throw on new plug.. Dad breaks wire when he shuts trunk.:whistle:

Brother can not back trailer up without smashing lights on something..

Screwloose and Chaz like this.
  7. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

its just like melting plastic.:handshake:
    ;)

Screwloose, eatonpcat and Chvymn99 like this.
  8. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Just got done, hopefully this will be the last time for this trailer.. Ran all new wires, soldered & shrink tubed all the wire lights. I did end up using 4 of those connections ( Nixon ) on the brakes, couldn’t get the soldering to go this morning in the wind. But it’s verified and all works, ran a brand new ground wire to the frame also. I now have back up lights and trailer Brakes.... :dex: ... Thanks for all the advice...

Attached Files:

9. Junkyard

Junkyard

Awesome. If you haven’t put the cover on the junction box yet.....smear some dielectric grease on all the terminals. That’s always the last step in case you need to fix a circuit or got a wire in the wrong spot. That stuff is gross when it’s fresh lol.

10. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I’ll check into it...:yes:

Screwloose, brenndatomu and Chaz like this.
  11. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

I would recommend replacing the whole assembly on each side. You can get both sides complete for $150-$180 with all new parts.

There would be no guessing, no parts to find, and no wondering what you have and need and what you dont have.

Edit- Nevermind. looks like you maybe have the brakes fixed.

Screwloose, Chvymn99 and brenndatomu like this.