In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Which splitter would you go with

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Evans, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Evans

Evans

Hello all, I’m looking to get a splitter. It will be my first one and I’m looking at a few and would like some input from people that own any of these. I’m looking at the Woods 27 ton, county line 25 ton and the Dirty hands 25 ton. They are all within $150 of each other and I believe they have the same Kohler engine. Is there major differences in the hyd pumps? Anything else I should look at? Thanks for any input.

Rope, Hammy, amateur cutter and 9 others like this.
  2. Chaz

Chaz

Welcome aboard Evans
    :handshake:

Myself and a friend split the cost of a 25 Ton cub cadet, believe it has a Honda engine, but not certain.

Quite a few members speak highly of the Dirty Hands splitters.

I don't know of any major differences between them, but others are more knowledgeable to be sure.

3. Evans

Evans

Thank you, I def would like to get one with the Honda but it seems like they’re on the really expensive ones

4. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Welcome Evans !!! Best of luck in your shopping... I have the same splitter as Chaz and the Honda motor was high on my list of discriminating factors. Was a little more expensive up front but I purchased it hoping that it wouldn’t give me headaches for a long time to come... bought in the spring of 2014 and starting year 5.. no problems.. knock wood... got about 50 full cords through it so far...

This thread has people’s splitters so if you find one similar to the one your thinking about, you can ask the member...

Log splitters

When able, tell us about your setup. Again, welcome!!!

5. Evans

Evans

Thanks, I see that Home Depot sells the Cub Cadet with the Honda engine. It’s about $400 more than the ones I’m looking at. Definitely something to think about as I would love a Honda.

6. MikeyB

MikeyB

Welcome Evans, I know a few members here have a DHT. I Have a Boss electric 7 Ton, Great machine if your looking at Lower tonnage. Let us know what you decide on.

7. g60gti

g60gti

I have the DHT 22 ton with kohler. I would have to check but think the meter is at 115 hours now. Have had no issues at all. I got it as a return from Lowe’s. Was leaking hydro fluid because some Lowe’s employee didn’t tighten everything fully when it was assembled so customer brought it back and wanted a different one. When they get a return like that they have to send it out to a repair shop and when it comes back it’s put up for sale at a discount. You probably have seen all the returns lined up somewhere outside in front of the store. Mine was already discontinued but I asked the manager if they could do better and got another 20% off, ended up walking away with it for 700, tax and everything. I think it depends on how long it’s sitting there whether or not they’ll discount it more. This one just happened to be at my local Lowe’s but maybe take a day and drive around to a few different ones and see if you can find something like that. Also got a Simpson power washer with aluminum frame and Honda engine like that for 450.

Welcome to the forum as well!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Welcome aboard Evans :yes:

I see you’d like a Honda motor on your prospective splitter, but I will tell you that we’re solidly in year 7 on a Champion 22T with their ChyKnees motor on it- works great, runs smooth!
    :thumbs:

Hammy, amateur cutter, MAF143 and 7 others like this.
  9. Evans

Evans

Thank you, that sounds like a great idea. I’ve heard good things about the dirty hands splitter. One thing I’ve noticed on the Woods brand is that there isn’t much room from front of hitch to the end of the cylinder. That might make it harder to tow or back up with???

10. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Don’t know if there’s any splitter that’s easy to back up....:confused::salute:

gmule, mikey517, gboutdoors and 11 others like this.
  11. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Depends if you are in a truck or on an ATV or lawn tractor... but then it’s less about the splitter and more about the tow vehicle...

12. g60gti

g60gti

Yeah, a splitter is a real treat to back up in a pickup, it can be quite funny to watch. Too short and can’t see it. Also, I only trailer mine around town over short distances at low speed. When I take it to camp it goes in my truck or trailer, might not be much left after a 50 mile trip at highway speeds.

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

TSC has their fast splitter on sale again...quite a few happy customers with that one too...I also have a 23 ton champion...no real complaints...that $700 splitter has split a good amount of wood for me..

14. In the Pines

In the Pines

I am very pleased with my countyline splitter! 20 plus hours on it now and no complaints really.
    seriously happy with it to date. The kohler engine seems to be just fine, and it powered thru some serious gnarly stuff I've put thru it.
    If you look, you probably will find that the same global company makes all the ones you are looking at.
    I was surprised at all the different brands listed, they manufactured.

15. Evans

Evans

Yes, I think the sale ended today.

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hmm...looks like you are correct...

17. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I'm pretty sure the woods and county line are the same.

18. Horkn

Horkn

Eh, Honda's are ok, but not worth that amount of money more than any other engine.

gmule, Hammy, amateur cutter and 7 others like this.
  19. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I have a dirty hands 35ton(I think it’s 35) with a kohler. Was a real pain in the arse to start the first few times but after that no complaints & really like it. Going on 5 years with it. Made some mods to the cradle/table

20. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Oh yeah.... WELCOME TO THE CLUB