In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Log splitters

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Backwoods Savage, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I often see people asking in many threads what kind of log splitter someone has. So thought it might be interesting to see what is popular with log splitters you hoarders have.

Here, we have an MTD 20 ton that has a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. It works great and we've had it somewhere around 30 years. Bought it new from Quality Farm and Fleet, who was bought out by Tractor Supply. I don't remember what we paid for it but was under $800. With that, I have to say the prices of splitters have actually came down over the years.

So, please tell us about your log splitter.

As for those who split by hand, good for you and I say continue as long as you can or as long as you enjoy it. For some of us, we had to go to hydraulics because of our physical conditions. Here, I injured my back and can't split by hand, but wish I could as I used to really enjoy it. I do occasionally split one or two logs by hand just to see what it feels like. It does tend to remind me why we bought hydraulics...:axe::stacker:

2. Steve Burns Wood

Steve Burns Wood

I have the exact same one. It splits great. I am loaning it out this week. I am about done splitting for the year.

3. clay shooter

clay shooter

i like spliting by hand, keeps me in shape.

Stlshrk, HoneyFuzz, mat60 and 21 others like this.
  4. billb3

billb3

Countyline 25 ton from TSC.
    before that I had a half-share in an older horizontal only splitter that was nice but us being 20 miles apart made sharing a splitter inconvenient. Co-ownership still makes sense though amongst the right people , imo.
    I also have a little 10 ton electric splitter that pre-dates both of them. Got it when I was working 60 hour weeks and mostly burning just on weekends and splitting had aggravated an old back injury and I had some rounds that really needed splitting and I couldn't wait for my back to mend. Haven't used it in a while but it is convenient inside the garage for kindling duty although it has split some rather large rounds outside on a heavy duty extension cord.

5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I borrowed my neighbors Huskee a few times before buying a brand-spanking-used Huskee for $500. Guy was downsizing and moving and it fell in my lap. It was a couple years old with very little wear. It has split about 18 cords since I got it 3 years ago.
    KIMG0167.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  6. Tiewire

Tiewire

F981B73C-2410-4415-A373-B91AC9CCA9F9.jpeg

Made a homemade splitter so it would be what I wanted. 4” cylinder with 8 horse Honda and 13 gpm pump. I’m very happy with it. May go to a 16 gpm pump in future.

7. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Cub Cadet 25 ton with the Honda 160cc motor. Bought new, in service for 4 years now..

4F5689E7-764E-47A3-AAFF-AA149F35B903.jpeg

8. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

Northstar 32 ton... Had it for about 4 years or so now. Hand split for 30 years before that.

Ran into my first Sycamore tree 5 years ago when I still split by hand, and that SOB Sycamore helped me make my mind up I needed to buy a splitter, along with you guys here helping me spend my money... :) ;)

image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  9. bear 1998

bear 1998

We have a 25 ton Powermate....made in china...202cc motor...we got this at home depot on sale for 799. So far so good....split about 20 cords since last august.
    I think I'm gonna add side cradles in the near future....motor has no protection however it seems positioned ok.....no close calls gettin hit.. I haven't found nothin yet that would stall it out..
    0825181300.jpg

10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

No charge. :handshake:

:rofl: :lol:

walt, Stlshrk, HoneyFuzz and 17 others like this.
  11. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

I will say, my own back injury caused me to go hydraulic as well. While it is nice experience handsplitting, I really do enjoy the experience of very quickly and efficiently splitting more wood in less time. For me, it has been a huge help with getting ahead on the wood pile. I also find that using the hydraulic splitter, I still get a similar “zen” feeling I used to get with hand splitting.

12. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Rugged Split, 37 ton with lift & 4 way. Upgraded from a Troy Built 27 ton that was still in excellent shape, so I sold it to a friend. 25 ish cords through the Rugged so far & no real issues.

Attached Files:

walt, Stlshrk, Rope and 27 others like this.
  13. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Just picked up a used one to replace the fine running 28 ton Speeco I presently have. It's and Iron & Oak Commercial, 22 ton fast cycle with log lift and hydro 4 way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Split by hand for years then bought a 22 ton from Tractor Supply about a year ago. It has a Kohler engine of about 6 or 6.5 hp. The engine got submerged in the spring flood but its running just like it should after a good clean out.

Still split by hand some but I like the machine because it leaves me more time to bicycle in the lovely fall weather, if we get any this year.

15. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I’ve got an MTD yard machines 31 ton with an 8 horse Briggs on it. I picked it up from my neighbor for $500 a few years back and it had had less than 5 cord run through it! It will split vertical or horizontal and the wedge is on the cylinder. The two stage pump is for sure nice. As far as add ons I put a piece of 3/4 plywood on the one log cradle frame over the engine to act as a table and to stop the occasional runaway from smashing the fuel tank. Also I added a small electric winch up at the top of the beam so I can hook it to the tractor and clip on to the battery and drag over the monster rounds. Only complaint is the 8 horse Briggs is shaking everything to death! I even got rubber generator mounts and put on it to dampen it some, but not much luck. It has shaken the sheet metal cover off (even cracked it) and eaten the recoil a few times so I’ve pretty well given up on it and went with the old wrap and pull starting method!

16. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

30F7BB1D-BE5D-421C-8520-13F5BF36B8E5.jpeg Almost forgot!

Stephiedoll, Stlshrk, Rope and 30 others like this.
  17. BigPapi

BigPapi

Another member of the Huskee 22 ton club here, with the B&S 6.75. Bought it from a guy who had welded handles onto the cylinder and a trailer jack in place of the stock "foot" - very helpful for moving it around when not hooked to something with a motor.

Think I paid $600. It has seen 60 cord since I bought it. It gets an air filter, oil change, and a spark plug touch up at the beginning of the season, usually top up with a few ounces of oil midway through, and this year had to replace the bolt holding the wedge to the ram. No complaints here!

18. Greg

Greg

I have and older 33 ton made by white (now mtd I think). Replaced engine after 10 years, have had 10 years since then, runs fine but is rarely used now. I have had a Timberwolf TW-5, and fell in love with the four way wedge that raise and lowers, log lift and sorting table. Have maybe 150-200 cords through it by now I think.

19. Erik B

Erik B

I think my Speeco is 20 years old. Can't find a receipt for it. 25 ton unit and I have replaced the motor once.
    DSC01597.JPG DSC01598.JPG

WinonaRail, Stlshrk, Rope and 29 others like this.
  20. Locust Post

Locust Post

22 ton Huskee here. Many years of splitting with my monster maul, then after a nerve decided to push on my spine I made the move. :cool: