In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Replacement engine for snow blower

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by fishingpol, Nov 16, 2018.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

(if) There may be 5 holes in the engine base. One is an alignment hole.
    fast forward to 1:10 in this vid

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  2. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

I just repowered my log splitter and have another positive vote for "Small Engine Warehouse". Very nice and helpful people, great packaging, very reasonable price.

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

NO problem Jon. Just get an extra tube of JB.

Hammy, Barcroftb, WeldrDave and 3 others like this.
  4. fishingpol

fishingpol

I ended up with the Predator 6.5 hp engine. It takes quite a bit to impress me, and the new engine has so far. The bolt patterns lined up exactly. The shaft lines up exactly with the belt. The shaft pulley fit fine. I only needed four longer bolts as the engine base is thicker, and the end shaft thread was 5/16 -24, different than the old one. The belt keeper fits, as well as the belt cowling.

20181118_164852.jpg

The only modification I have to make is the chute directional shaft hits the side of the engine. The Predator is a slant cylinder towards that side. The Tecumseh was a straight up cylinder.

20181118_155646.jpg

So where do I get a universal to make the corner for the 3/8" shaft? Tractor supply had 3/8" socket universal, and some welding got me this.

20181118_162636.jpg

Notice I set the shaft in too far and welded it to the socket. The shaft bottomed out against the inside of the universal.:headbang: I was being careful to keep the shaft centered in the socket when I welded it. I popped the pin out, ground the excess shaft with a wheel and reset the pin. I'm trying really hard to not be a terrible welder.

I just need to re-align and make a second part of the upper bracket to take the slop out of the shaft. Maybe replace the plastic bushing on the shaft too.

I'll fire it up tomorrow afternoon.

20181118_171214.jpg

reelcrzy, Hammy, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  5. saewoody

saewoody

Hey nice work fishingpol! I had to modify my shoot control as well, it I got lucky. I was able to simply rebolt the original bracket through a different mounting hole at a slightly different angle and was able to sneak it by the engine. Glad you got it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Horkn

Horkn

That looks really good. I'm really impressed with the 6.5 hp predator on the splitter. It was super easy to repower.

Hammy, fishingpol and brenndatomu like this.
  7. trail twister

trail twister

I put the hemi version 212 cc Predator engine on a MTD I found setting on the curb. While I was at it I installed aq impeller kit on it. Will throw wet slush a good 30 feet with out clogging the chute.
    I have two others, one on a TB tomahawk chipper shredder, and the third on my log splitter.

I never have had a problem with the carb iceing up. I did how ever remove the foam air cleaner, and added a T in the tank vent so it really vents now.

:D Al

Hammy, fishingpol and Horkn like this.
  8. fishingpol

fishingpol

I finally was able to use the snowblower this weekend. It started on 5 pulls at about 25 degrees. Today, it took well over 20 pulls at 4 degrees.

I went to pull the air filter cover carefully off and broke the clip to hold it on.

Once started, it ran well with plenty of power.

I don't think these are really winter use engines below a certain temp. An electric start would have avoided curse words today.

Horkn, brenndatomu, saewoody and 2 others like this.
  9. saewoody

saewoody

Definitely not designed as winter use as you stated. A lot of guys talk about re-jetting of the carb with a larger jet, or slightly drilling out the jet that is there. But you are righy, an electric start would’ve made a world of difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horkn and fishingpol like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

This works good.

A little shot of gas right in the carb throat works also...but that's a PITA too...

Horkn, saewoody and fishingpol like this.
  11. trail twister

trail twister

That is what I do just squart a shot of fuel in the carb Also went to a 5W 30 synthetic oil.
    Never Have had a problem since even at -8 below zero.

There are guys who have also built a hot box for the carb too.

12. fishingpol

fishingpol

I don't believe there is a primer bulb on the engine. That would probably help on the cold starts.

Horkn likes this.
  13. fishingpol

fishingpol

This sounds like the plan.

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  14. trail twister

trail twister

No there isn't a primer bulb on the engine. I normally only have to give it a squirt the first start of the season or if it goes 45 to 60 days between use.

My only issue was the tank venting. Would just die like it used the last drop of fuel. crank it a few times and no start OK it is out of fuel remove the cap. would start right up after I did that. I added a hose T in the line that is supposed to vent the tank. No more problems.

15. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

My Tecumseh engine on my Husky blower is a bitch to start cold. Might need a carb rebuild. For now, a shot of carb cleaner up under the cover near the carb does the trick

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

The Tecumseh on my Wizard (Western Auto brand) snowblower has a primer bulb...I drain the carb (it has a spring loaded button to do this easily) after each use and then I put Stabil or Startron in the fuel that's still left in the tank...but, it only runs once or twice each year, if at all, last year I didn't even use it once. Went out this morning and turned the fuel valve on, hit the primer 3 X...started first pull...just as it always does.

Horkn likes this.
  17. Horkn

Horkn

That's odd, something's amiss in that carb. Tecumseh's are usually really good at cold starts. That's why briggs and Stratton bought out Tecumseh and then shuttered them.

18. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I just remembered that last winter I saw the exhaust glowing when I used it at night, so its definitely lean. Gotta figure out which carb and pick up a rebuild kit

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  19. Horkn

Horkn

Sounds like a plan.

brenndatomu and Mwalsh9152 like this.