In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Turkey in brine- tick-tock

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Well Seasoned, Nov 20, 2018.

  1. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I made the brine after stuffing rosemary, thyme, and sage in the bird.



    First..... 1 gallon apple cider

    20181120_184249.jpg


    4 large oranges.....



    20181120_184820.jpg


    A few splashes of apple cider vinegar...


    20181120_184925.jpg


    1 cup brown sugar......

    20181120_185041.jpg


    Some fresh ginger......


    20181120_185226.jpg


    About 10 cloves fresh crushed garlic...

    20181120_185710.jpg


    1 cup kosher salt......

    20181120_185808.jpg


    Topped off with water......

    20181120_190237.jpg



    This will sit in the cooler outside until early Thanksgiving when I'll pat it dry, stuff herbed butter under the skin, brush with olive oil and roast in the oven.



    More pics to come Thanksgiving! :drool:
     
  2. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,486
    Likes Received:
    113,772
    Location:
    KC Metro

    :drool::drool:..... that looks gooder!
     
  3. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,982
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    I've never brined a turkey before, but...
    :drool:
     
  4. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
  5. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,982
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Not even sure what that is.
    :binoculars:
    :wacky::loco: :crazy:

    I'll stick with the turkey thx.
    :thumbs:
     
  6. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,458
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    You need to. It seriously makes any turkey so much better. I was thinking about it, and we have only cooked turkeys that we've brined for the last nearly 15 years. There's plenty of ways to do it, but sugar, salt, some sort of liquid ( usually water) and a few herbs or citrus and it's golden.

    Well Seasoned , we typically use water, kosher salt and brown sugar, but we're using apple cider like you this year. A few oranges, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and a couple of bay leaves. It's always gooder to brine. Pretty much what you are doing. Minus the garlic.
     
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Eric VW, Midwinter, bear 1998 and 4 others like this.
  7. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX

    Official food of Quebec................................... "Poutine".................French Fries with cheese curds smothered with gravy. After that you have a "Joe Louie" and wash it all down with a Pepsi or two........ or a Labatt's Blue
     
    Eric VW, yooperdave, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  8. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,982
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Ahh what the heck..
    I'd try it once, as long as it comes with a Labatt's Blue of course.
    :thumbs::coldone::pete:

    Next question, what's a Joe Louie??
     
    Eric VW, rottiman, bear 1998 and 3 others like this.
  9. tree killer

    tree killer

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2015
    Messages:
    2,463
    Likes Received:
    16,916
    Location:
    Central me
    What time is that bird going to be done and I'll stop by! rottiman I could go for some poutine too, that sounds good with the bird. It's been since my grandmother passed in 99 since I've had some good stuff.
     
    Eric VW, rottiman, bear 1998 and 4 others like this.
  10. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Sounds delicious! We try and switch it up every year! I remember the bacon weave we did 2 years ago-mmmmmmm!
     
    Eric VW, yooperdave, rottiman and 4 others like this.
  11. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I've heard of that around here- sounds delicious and I've gotta try it!
     
    Eric VW, rottiman, bear 1998 and 3 others like this.
  12. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Bout noon time, seeing on ovah!:thumbs:
     
    Eric VW, rottiman, bear 1998 and 3 others like this.
  13. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,458
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    What's funny is that at one of the restaurants we went to in Maui, had poutine as an option. I've never seen it outside of Maine and New Hampshire, in the States at least.
     
  14. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,458
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    A bacon weave? That sounds like a delicious wig.

    Lol:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

    I recall that in all seriousness. How can you go wrong weaving bacon?
     
  15. bear 1998

    bear 1998

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2017
    Messages:
    2,016
    Likes Received:
    16,253
    Location:
    S.C.Pa
    What time is supper ???....wanna make sure we leave early enough!!!! :drool:
    Since you like to try different recipes...ill send you a link to one that is our favorite if ya dont mind doin it the whole bird on the grill. It has a bourbon gravy also....
     
    Eric VW, Jack Straw, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  16. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,486
    Likes Received:
    113,772
    Location:
    KC Metro
    That sounds good.... :handshake:
     
    Eric VW, Horkn, Well Seasoned and 2 others like this.
  17. bear 1998

    bear 1998

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2017
    Messages:
    2,016
    Likes Received:
    16,253
    Location:
    S.C.Pa
    Come to think of it....ill just post it here...so all can see....daaaaaaaa me
     
    Eric VW, Jack Straw, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  18. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Eric VW, Horkn, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  19. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Bring on the Poutine!:drool:
    I've found it in Maine, N.Y., Michigan U.P. and Alaska.
     
    huskihl, Eric VW, Jack Straw and 6 others like this.
  20. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I was delicious! Had to think back to elementary school during home economics class
     
    Eric VW, Horkn, Chaz and 3 others like this.