In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homemade Handles - Axe, Hatchet, Maul, Pickaroon, Hammer....

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by ChipsFlyin, Oct 12, 2018.

1. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

Lets see some pics of your homemade handles! I know many of you are super skilled and creative. Be proud of your work and post up some pictures. They could be wood, steel, welded, plastic, rigged in a pinch/ quick fix, new design idea - anything goes. Thanks!

2. jwebb

jwebb

A57F6A41-08D4-4A61-A8A9-B5E5B88EABC8.jpeg A 2lb Flint Edge cruiser, skinny handle DC542627-953D-4F6C-B747-0F9B015077CF.jpeg

A Plumb 4 Lb on 36”

3. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Made two of these out of white ash I milled. My dad I gave gave the other.
    Both axe heads found in the adirondacks, more than likely lost by loggers IMG_20181016_133000775.jpg

4. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

5. jwebb

jwebb

Thanks ChipsFlyin that’s a 30 something year old 4000 made right here in my hometown. It’s got plenty of grunt for 64cc haha

HolsatiaRedneck and HighCountry like this.
  6. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

OH - just saw you were new here. Welcome to FHC! Keep the cool stuff coming!

7. jwebb

jwebb

Thanks a lot this is the first forum I’ve ever posted on and y’all seem like a good group of people and I’m definitely a hoarder !!

8. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

There are various types of hoarding. Mine are firewood ( at camp ), chainsaws, axes, hatchets and tools. That covers a majority of the topic on here. I'm sure you fall within that group also. :thumbs: You'll fit right in. These are all good down to earth people, at least most of the time.:whistle: Find a cool pic for your avatar. It's easy - log in , hover over your name on the top right of the page click "avatar" and download. There is also an "introduce yourself here" thread.

Introduce yourself here !

9. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Made from a pallet that I scrounged. Not sure what kind of wood it is but it was dense and strong. I have used it quite a bit and so far has held up well. Those are nail holes in the handle.

IMG_1223.JPG

10. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

So I was making handles for this maul and broke 3 of them. Two of the handles were of a piece of pallet wood and one was made from a piece of elm. I am afraid that the wood from those was just not strong enough
    to handle a maul. So I bought a handle for a shovel that was a good diameter for the maul and I could cut it to any length I wanted. I put some parachute chord around the handle for my left hand to grip. I have to admit
    it is a lot stronger wood than what I have been using.

IMG_1274.JPG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  11. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Well nice! I got some Crataegus/whitethorn in the garden which is supposed to be great for handles, after seeing all this i wanna give it a shot too!

Mag Craft and Midwinter like this.