In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Few months of burning! How does this look?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Woodwhore, Jan 15, 2018.

  1. oldspark

    oldspark

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,534
    Likes Received:
    7,444
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Well Seasoned brings up a good point.
    "This is a common question you might be asking yourself when you are getting ready to purchase a stainless steel chimney liner. It is always a good idea to insulate a stainless steel chimney liner. The insulation will enable the flue to heat up more quickly and to a higher temperature. This helps reduce the risk of having an inadequate draft. In addition, while the flue gasses stay hot, less creosote will form and less fuel will be wasted."
     
  2. woody5506

    woody5506

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2017
    Messages:
    1,086
    Likes Received:
    5,940
    Location:
    Upstate NY
    It's dirtier than mine was after burning about 2 cords (October-January) of mostly just barely 1 year seasoned wood but I think I recall reading people on here being surprised at how clean PE stoves burn. I'm a novice so I just try to keep up with it but at this point I think for me once a year is safe enough.

    Yours doesn't look bad but I also would've cleaned at that point. it never hurts.
     
    Woodwhore, oldspark and Well Seasoned like this.
  3. oldspark

    oldspark

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,534
    Likes Received:
    7,444
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    I would have cleaned it also, I guess I thought that was the OP's plan.
     
    Woodwhore and Well Seasoned like this.
  4. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,610
    Location:
    Vermont
    Woodwhore you have a beautiful home, love the beams, I like wood beams in a house, I might have 1 or 2:whistle:. I have never liked the painted wood look but your might make me change my mind.

    I believe my flu is uninsulated it's double-walled duravent outside the house up the wall it does have a Chase built around it because of insurance requirements but the Chase isn't really insulated. Mine draws like crazy.
     
  5. JRHAWK9

    JRHAWK9

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2018
    Messages:
    836
    Likes Received:
    4,420
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Here's after a WHOLE winter of burning for me.

    IMG_0562.JPG IMG_0563.JPG
     
  6. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,610
    Location:
    Vermont
    Welcome JRHAWK9 nice to meet ya. That's some clean burning right there:tip:
     
  7. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    I don't think your flue looked too bad, at least it wasn't big potato chip flakes everywhere. I clean both of my flues the week after Christmas every season, and we heat our house solely with wood. They look slightly less dirty than yours, usually generating less than half a coffee can of debris each. The dirtiest parts of my flues are the caps (spark arrestors) and the single wall piece that exits the pedestal stove in the kitchen. Single wall will accumulate much more debris, because of the temperature differential from inside to outside of the pipe. The Class A chimneys stay very clean, because the heat cannot condense due to the insulation.

    If I were you, I'd look to see if that liner is insulated or not. If it isnt, I'd consider having vermiculite installed. For piece of mind, if nothing else.
     
  8. Ashwatcher

    Ashwatcher

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2015
    Messages:
    2,001
    Likes Received:
    13,648
    Location:
    West By God Viginia
    Welcome JRHAWK9 - You're gonna like it here, I guarantee it. That's a slick looking flue. Lots of good people here and glad you've come on board. Nice to meet ya. :handshake:
     
  9. Woodwhore

    Woodwhore

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    19,091
    Location:
    Mason NH
    Thank you very much, I get a good draft too. Ill have to further investigate the insulated pipe. 0FB97CCE-15C6-4729-B778-CD8582EC3EA8.jpeg The beams are actually ebony stain with clearcoat. I let her paint the beams white in our bedroom and thats it, i like the wood too and you can still see the grain. The pic doesnt do it justice.
     
  10. Woodwhore

    Woodwhore

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    19,091
    Location:
    Mason NH
    I gotta look Into that because i too heat solely with wood. I also have a bbq in the kitchen that i cook alot with wood, but that doesnt seem to get dirty at all! i havnt turned my heat on in 8 years . I hate paying the oil man, I do turn it on to check it once in a while. Thanks for all the support fellas !!!
     
    brenndatomu and Scotty Overkill like this.