In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Art imitating life. Canada Goose head.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by fishingpol, Oct 8, 2017.

  1. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Here is another wood carving completed. I hope everyone enjoys the pictures.

    This goose head took over 30 hours over the last month to finish. Some days I just had to walk away from it in frustration and figure out the next steps.

    The inspiration comes from the geese that fly over the house to the local lake at sunset. They fly low, just over the tree tops and we can here them honking from several hundred yards away.

    The rough blank was made up of two pieces of tupelo, cut on the band saw. I carved and filed it to shape and then sanded it.

    20170923_203145.jpg

    Once sanded, I marked and drilled out the eye holes and used diamond bits to rough in feather details. The burning of the feathers was next, and it took many hours of repetition to finish it off. The eyes were not set, just placed to see if they were balanced.

    20171001_091100.jpg

    Here the eyes were set with kneaditite, the blue/yellow ribbon epoxy. It is a great product but not found in stores. It is firm and molds very fine details, including the eye ring. Setting the eyes bring life to the wood.

    20171006_193839.jpg


    Unfortunately, I didn't stop and take painting pictures, as I use thin washes of paint and blend colors that dry fast on the palette. The bill had a little gloss medium to give is a slight shine.

    20171008_113235.jpg

    Here it is complete and mounted to a piece of pine barnboard. The head is actually tilted to one side to take the stiffness out of just having a plain, forward looking head. I didn't have any goose head specimens to use for measurements, so I just winged it hoping for some anatomical accurracy.

    20171008_173531.jpg

    I'm probably going to enter this piece and the turkey feather in a local carving show next weekend.
    I haven't entered a show for close to 20 years, so I'll see how it goes.
     
  2. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Very, very cool Jon! THAT is some serious patience and talent you have!
     
  3. bogieb

    bogieb

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2015
    Messages:
    12,558
    Likes Received:
    76,379
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Another masterpiece :thumbs:! I just don't have the patience it would take to burn those feathers in. Or the skill, don't have the skill either
     
  4. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    Beautiful head, it captures the alert expression of those geese. Where's the carving show happening?
     
  5. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Very nice. I'd be interested in the carving show as well.
    My grandfather was a blacksmith and wood carver, by the i I was old enough for him to show me stuff he had had a stroke. My uncle has passed some of it on but it would be nice to take up some new hobbies to honor my Nampa. He had more knowledge and can do in his pinkey finger than most do today.
     
  6. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    Eric VW and Backwoods Savage like this.
  7. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
  8. JWinIndiana

    JWinIndiana

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2017
    Messages:
    1,440
    Likes Received:
    8,770
    Location:
    NorthWest Indiana
    Beautiful work. I just assumed it would be the top of a cane/walking stick. Question if you don't mind, why do all of the burning if you are going to paint over it?
     
  9. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Uncle has the old forge and anvil buried in his garage. He always talks about having a "forge day" hasn't happened yet tho. I'll check out the thread when I have a few min. Perhaps it will inspire me to light a fire under his azz.
     
  10. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.

    This carving is just the head on display. I have done a few others like this.


    My wife said the same thing about wood burning as it shows more of the work. It is just part of the detailing process and the painting brings it a step closer to realism.
     
    HDRock, rottiman, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  11. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,860
    Likes Received:
    121,452
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
  12. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,645
    Likes Received:
    130,660
    Location:
    Vermont
    Beautiful fishingpol amazing the talent and patience you have
     
  13. JWinIndiana

    JWinIndiana

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2017
    Messages:
    1,440
    Likes Received:
    8,770
    Location:
    NorthWest Indiana
    Thank you for your quick reply. I understand that there are many processes to go through to achieve an unbelievable product. Which, your goose head is amazingly beautiful.
     
  14. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,515
    Likes Received:
    95,537
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Incredibly work. very realistic.
     
  15. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,179
    Location:
    Central MI
    Beautiful work Jon. Good luck with the show.
     
    Eric VW and fishingpol like this.
  16. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    fishingpol, how was the carving show? There must have been some beautiful artistry on display.
     
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  17. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    The show was pretty good. It is not huge, but there was some good talent. The goose head received an honorable mention, the turkey feather a second place and I put a chickadee in for a third place ribbon.

    Here are some pics.


    I believer this King eider was the best in show. Most likely a Masters level.

    20171015_143024.jpg


    This Nuthatch was amazing. I thought one of the best pieces there.
    20171015_142655.jpg

    The eye detail was excellent.

    20171015_142919.jpg


    A miniature owl. This carver had 3 different species of owl carvings. My thumb for size comparison.

    20171015_143618.jpg

    My dad made this stylized seashell with sand washing out around it in walnut. He didn't tell me about this one, abd I was really surprised. He took second in that division.

    20171015_142901.jpg

    A very nice kestrel.

    20171015_143201.jpg

    A nice Halloween caricature.

    20171015_143355.jpg


    A nice owl.

    20171015_142446.jpg
     
  18. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    One entrant made these excellent woodburnings. There is some difficulty when wood burning as the tip goes over the growth ring lines and into the softwood.

    20171015_143445.jpg

    20171015_143450.jpg

    20171015_142501.jpg

    20171015_142459.jpg
     
  19. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    Gorgeous work! I like the nuthatch too. And who couldn't love the gnome! Congratulations on your ribbons! I hope to meet up sometime at a get together- this one was pretty small, and the guest of honor was still hours away by the time we left. We had fun, though. And it must have been fun for you to meet fellow carvers.
     
  20. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,562
    Location:
    US
    Outstanding work, fishingpol :yes: :handshake:
    Thanks for taking us along....cherished posts and pics, sir:)