In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Digging a pond

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by J. Dirt, Jun 19, 2017.

1. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

We've had a swampy small pond at the highest point of our property of just over 4 acres since we bought the place and my dream has always been to dig a new one 1/2-1 acre sized down in a swail that cuts the corner of the property out back. The idea is to use some of the spoils to fill in the existing swamp hole/ pond along with the stumps and berm that is behind it. I'm sure there are town things and permits that go along with this, but anyone have some insight as to what I'm looking at for cost to have it done or if I can pickup a used backhoe or dozer and do it myself? Let's here some options?

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Better get something on tracks if its any bit wet.
    Dozer, excavator or track loader.

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Have to also be concerned about the clay/soil type...be a shame to go through all that work only to see it not hold water.
    The additional $ of trucking in bentonite in that worse case scenario may also be cost prohibitive...

4. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

it's about 12-18" topsoil then some sand followed by gravelly clay but depends on exactly where your at. The neighbor has a pond two places down and there's a creek that runs through the woods behind the field at the back of the yard. Mainly low around here being below the ledge

5. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I guess equipment wise would depend on when I did it. Spring would be to soggy for a wheeled machine but summer into fall would be fine with a backhoe. I do have an eye on an old Red dozer though:D it would match my other toys well

blacksmith and Eric VW like this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Could do it with a box scraper or slip scoop on the back of you tractah if'n you don't mind foolin with it a while...:tractor:

blacksmith, J. Dirt and Eric VW like this.
  7. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Thats too big to dig with a backhoe.

8. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

9. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

blacksmith, Eric VW and J. Dirt like this.
  10. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Looks showroom new!:D
    Grab it!
    :thumbs:

blacksmith and J. Dirt like this.
  11. DNH

DNH

Check your local rental places, if you have a truck and/or tractor you could rent a good sized mini excavator (10,000 minimum) and a dump trailer for a week for roughly $1500 around here you would be at least 3x that price to hire it out. But your paying for the experience which may be well worth 10x the price.

Rough numbers 1/2 acre excavation 3' of soil/rock equal about 2400 cubic yards and 5,000,000 pounds. Where are you putting all that dirt.

Just finishing a construction project at work where we had to excavate and haul off, rough cost I was told was (I'm not the one paying for not) $22 per cubic yard that would be $52,000 for your 1/2 acre pond.

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Probably a lot less if the spoils are not taken off site...

J. Dirt, Eric VW and blacksmith like this.
  13. blacksmith

blacksmith

Any ideas for stocking fish? If so what kind?

brenndatomu, J. Dirt and Eric VW like this.
  14. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

Here in Minnesota, Land of 10 million laws, I would be Leary that the "wetlands Nazi's" might be wanting something to say about making a pond out of a wetlands.
    Sounds like a great project but, "who knows what the man is going to say".
    Marty

15. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

That's the main idea!!! :thumbs: Bass for sure maybe a couple grass carp some trout and or perch and crappie. I'd like to talk to the DEC about which fish are ok together and how many and what type of depth and etc.

blacksmith, brenndatomu and Eric VW like this.
  16. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

It's not really a wetland I guess. I mow it a few times a year, which I plan on doing today in fact:D. Just kind of a low spot or roll in the back of the yard. I'll try and snap some pics later:ithappened:

blacksmith and Eric VW like this.
  17. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

You would be surprised what "they" classify as wetland.
    If there is a stream nearby, please be careful, not for the "wetland" but for your own well being.
    There are horror stories of reperation costs/fines.

Constructing Recreational and Farm Ponds - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

18. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I hear you about the wetland thing. We deal with it at work a lot and some places you would NEVER! Imagine it to be wetland area. That's why I figured I'd throw this out there to get some general ideas and weather or not this is worth it.

19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

how long will you live there?

I did some research here not sure if it applies to NY first called ANR.. they said I could put in a pond.. they like them as water run off to protect the lake mine would be about 350 feet long and wide... then I had to call engineers.. because would need a dam on 1 side to keep water in... they said if face of dam was over 3 feet I would a permit.. and in short ya don't want that :makeitrain"
    I talked they guy and he said dig it deeper middle and bowl it so it would be 17 feet deep middle 2 feet at far end so dam face only 2 feet high and 8 inches gravel over road cause I need a road over it.. in short you pay taxes to these people so ya got to call them..

as for fill I would use my land to hold dirt and the test pits show great topsoil.. a thousand years of rotten grasses and a 150 years of cow poop washed over from Neighbors fields ... I got a tractor with fel... if I rented a portable screener and screened it one dried good top soil sells for 30 a yard here.. 25 bucks a pick up bed would pay for it in a spring time... underneath all that is clay... where to put the material is a BIG question as dump trucks are 75 to 90 an hour here!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  20. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Ok just finished brush hogging, it's kind of deceiving but my back corner is formed by the stand of 6' pines and it is roughly 4' higher there than in the "low" spot I was talking about. Where I am standing taking the picture is roughly 3' higher than the "low" spot which starts all the way on the left of the picture and is marked by the fence post and travels diagonal toward the other corner. IMG_1292.JPG This looking almost straight back it would be in a rectangular area, somewhat kidney shape with the edge almost running along the shade line and the end on the right just below the apple tree IMG_1294.JPG
    A shot looking back toward the house the end of it here would be down in front of those little pines IMG_1296.JPG All in all I paced it out a bit and looks like it would be in a rectangular area of 90x180 dug out to a kidney shape so under half an acre

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017