So I am curious about a mill, first thought is how much of a bar with ripping chain can I run with my 460?
28"-32" but it will be easy going. I asked this in a previous life and was told this. That's if you run the aux oiler. The 460 is capable, but the 660 and 880 shine in these aspects (394/395-3120 in Husq).
Mu buddy is using a 460 for milling with success, but I'd be making an auxiliary oiler to help lube the chain. There are links out there to do so (check youtube). Also talk to Zap (aka "thewoodlands"), he's got a lot of experience center run nine the Alaskan mill.... I almost bought an Alaskan, I'm holding out for a hobby size band mill though....
Recommended 75cc (that's the minimum) powerhead for Alaskan mill.My first saw was 77cc Poulan Pro 475 in 1994 (rebadged Partner 7700,same as Jonsered 2077 after the Electrolux takeover in late '80's. But for more continuous use 90cc or more is faster,saw lasts longer & much easier on the operator.Main thing is make sure bar has lots of oil, use proper fuel mix,keep air filter CLEAN & take frequent breaks letting saw idle & cool down from time to time. Even in cold winter temps.Milling is much more stressful on the engine & other saw components than regular crosscutting.
LOL not so much recently,but it has seen a fair bit of use over the years.....I can barely keep up with the regular cutting/splitting lately. Short thick stuff under 3 ft I just freehand it anymore,quicker & almost as accurate as setting up the mill.
Outerwears makes a nice pre filter for the HD filter setup on the 441,440,460, etc. They are pretty cheap and come in almost any color you want If your gonna do some extensive milling? I'd look into one. For about $10, they are worth it.
When I needed info, smokinj helped me out, he recommended the 660 which I bought, it runs through pine real nice, hemlock takes more time. I need to try it out on some hardwood this spring or summer. I do have a nice 139 cc saw in storage which I might try this summer when milling some pine.
I'll be getting a 660 in next week. A 2010 model that should be good to go. It will do better milling. A 460 in hardwoods is going to need oiler help and I wouldn't want t do any long cuts over 20-24" wide. That will take a 32" bar to cut that wide. I haven't got to use my 088 yet but I'm sure it will e better than the 90cc saws.
I plan on stepping up to a 660. I was actually gonna put the 460 I just acquired up in the Classifieds. But will give it some time. I know HittinSteel has a nice 066 for sale and Durand (Komatsuvarna) will have a nice OEM 066 as well (soon).
Just for the record guys, swag's 460 is 82cc. (54mm) But that's not going to help him with the oiler issues. His saw does not have the HO oiler unless he changed it.
Depending on your dealer it will be $60-90. The parts t make it an HO oiler are about $40 now so me I'll take all brand new parts.
No I haven't. Might be a option to try and make your own HO oiler. The plunger has more stroke and the control bolt let's its go a little farther.
You lose 4"-5" bar length when mill is attached. For 32" bar I'd say 30" mill.You can still mill 25"- 26" logs,which is plenty for a 76cc saw in dense hardwoods.
Sweet thanks, that what I wanted to know. Also I got 6 walnut to take down soon here. Ill send you some pics if you are interested in anything to turn. I will be ordering the mill and mini mill soon.