No luck finding any Shellbark nuts (not even any for sale) but I did score instead a lamb bratwurst w/ brown mustard,sweet relish & bottle of home brewed root beer to wash it down from 2 food vendors at the Covered Bridge Festival.
Ok, finally got this brewed. Had a bit of trouble with the Perc, but it ended up ok. Tastes like a really light roast, almost a breakfast blend. With no sweetener it was very mild, even less than tea. Less bitter too. It became nuttier when I added sweetener and quote delightful when I added cream, not unlike chai. I wonder if it will have a stronger flavour with our drip pot. To be continued...
Did you Google it? If I remember it right the beans are poisonous unless roasted! But I was just going to post a picture of some I cut today here in Michigan which is out of it's range. Gary
Gary, see post #8 in which I roasted them (5 hours at 300 degrees before they were fully done). I also just read an article that stated they were native to Michigan. http://www.annarbor.com/home-garden...-plant-with-seeds-you-can-drink-or-play-with/
So we've been drinking this for about five days now, mixing it with coffee. 70-75% coffee! using the kaffee, as we have begun calling it, as a coffee extender. It makes the some old coffee much more interesting. I prefer it in a percolator, though.