In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Red maple

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by creek chub, Oct 18, 2016.

  1. creek chub

    creek chub

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2016
    Messages:
    319
    Likes Received:
    1,471
    Location:
    Va
    if I CSS live red maple this fall and winter, can I expect to burn it next year?
     
  2. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,362
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Maybe, but the dryer the better, no?
    If you have a moisture meter, use that on it next year.
    I'd wait.
     
  3. creek chub

    creek chub

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2016
    Messages:
    319
    Likes Received:
    1,471
    Location:
    Va
    Sorry I didn't type that too well. I meant to type burn next fall or winter.
     
  4. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    I would say if you cut it pretty soon and get it split and stacked you would be fine, especially if you have a good hot Virginia summer.
     
  5. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    X2 dry sunny single stack, I don't see why not......
     
  6. creek chub

    creek chub

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2016
    Messages:
    319
    Likes Received:
    1,471
    Location:
    Va
    Summers are usually hot here. May top cover and see if that helps keep the rain off the wood since this past summer seemed unusually wet.
     
  7. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,456
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Maple seasons pretty quickly. I don't see why it wouldn't be ready for next fall off split and stacked now.

    I'm a firm believer in using a moisture meter. It will tell you everything you need to know.
     
  8. Woodsnwoods

    Woodsnwoods

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2015
    Messages:
    3,067
    Likes Received:
    20,081
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    Stack it kinda loose and get the air and sun to it.......maybe. How big are the splits?
     
  9. creek chub

    creek chub

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2016
    Messages:
    319
    Likes Received:
    1,471
    Location:
    Va
    Here is a pic of one stack
    IMG_0368.JPG
     
  10. EnglishBob

    EnglishBob

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    398
    Likes Received:
    2,386
    Location:
    Upstate NY
    Nice stack - small splits - should dry if it has sun and wind. Use MM to check.

    bob
     
  11. creek chub

    creek chub

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2016
    Messages:
    319
    Likes Received:
    1,471
    Location:
    Va
    I have two more stacks just like it. By my count, I only need to scrounge 4-5 more trailer loads of wood for this coming winter. After that, I'm gonna focus on CSS red maples for the rest of the winter and try to get on that 3 year plan.
     
  12. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I've done it, but it burns a little nicer when I get it put up in the spring, then use it about 18 months later.
    As suggested, get a MM, then resplit a few random pieces next spring and check them.
     
  13. Woodsnwoods

    Woodsnwoods

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2015
    Messages:
    3,067
    Likes Received:
    20,081
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    Pretty small stuff, confirm with a mm, but guessing you will be fine.
     
  14. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Good point. That stuff seems fairly skinny, so it should dry pretty well and quicker than the stuff I split. As I was stacking in the shed, I kept asking myself why I split most of them so big.
    I think I was planning to use 'em for overnight fires or something.
     
  15. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    +5
    It'll burn fine with 12 months seasoning.
    Perfect job stacking: Off the ground, singel row, loose stacked , in the open, good air circulation !!!
    Top cover if you can.

    Stove type ?
    Catalytic's like real dry stuff.
     
  16. Ashwatcher

    Ashwatcher

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2015
    Messages:
    2,001
    Likes Received:
    13,648
    Location:
    West By God Viginia
    You'll be fine-increase that distance off the ground moving forward to at least 12", face it south with no shade---it will be @10-12% by next burning season-I guarantee it...
     
  17. Ashwatcher

    Ashwatcher

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2015
    Messages:
    2,001
    Likes Received:
    13,648
    Location:
    West By God Viginia
    AIR, from the bottom up, is key...single row is important too but if you leave 8-12" in between double rows=just fine too!
     
  18. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    +1
    Air circulation is key !
     
  19. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    You'll be ok to burn that next year, I've done it many years with Red Maple 14 to 15 months drying. Looking at your pics it looks great, small splits, good air flow= good to go!!!:coldfire:
     
  20. creek chub

    creek chub

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2016
    Messages:
    319
    Likes Received:
    1,471
    Location:
    Va
    I have a regency 3100 insert