In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Lopi Liberty Basement Install

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BuckthornBonnie, Sep 30, 2016.

  1. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
  2. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
    Above is the support area. We used wedge bolts and tapcons here. There's a lot of weight resting on this area so it's beefy.
    image.jpeg
    Around the hole I packed Silicone and placed this trim collar for 8"ID pipe. This gives me a fairly clean look on the outside.
     
  3. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
    image.jpeg
    Here's my solution for going through the deck. It's a FSP (finish support package) from my craigslist score. I primed and painted it, then installed a storm collar around it. Doing this maintains the 2" clearances and makes this water-tight under my deck.
     
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  4. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
    Another challenge- when a pipe goes through a pitched roof, it isnt as simple as cutting a circle. So... My wife and I mocked up a template out of paper, then transferred that shape to flashing. We used adhesive and leftover tin screws to secure it to the soffitt.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
     
  5. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Beautiful install. I don't know what you will put in for a ceiling, but should you find the top of the flue heating up the ceiling more than you are comfortable with, you can take another section of chimney pipe and cut it in half length wise then mount it to the hot flue pipe with an off set of about 1'5 to 2 inches. This will go a long ways to deflect the heat from radiating to the ceiling.
     
  6. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
    Here's that second bracket system I made up. There's a lot of hardware up there but I wanted to be at or above code on everything.
    image.jpeg
     
  7. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
    Another custom bracket here. Props to DexterDay for his original basement install thread from a few years ago... I got my inspiration from him and others who've gone down this road before.
    image.jpeg
     
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  8. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,650
    Likes Received:
    130,687
    Location:
    Vermont
    beautiful work! way to do it right!
     
  9. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
    Thanks!
     
  10. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
    If you're planning a basement install and have questions, feel free to pm me as there were more nuances to the job I didnt mention.
    Our building inspector really liked it so obviously it passed inspection. I called him prior to getting the permit to describe the install... Id suggest doing the same THEN getting a permit.
     
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  11. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Amazing work, very nice custom work! Beautiful home as well! :yes:
     
    Flatlander Pete, HDRock and savemoney like this.
  12. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
    Thank you. It's a work in progress, that's for sure. I'm probably done with stove installs, though. Well... That barn does get a bit frosty sometimes. Hmmmmm...
     
  13. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I bet your draft really sucks:D
     
  14. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
    Ha! Quite literally, yes. I had my reservations about another outside run, but the stack height and good burning practices should mitigate draft/creosote issues.
    I clean my other chimney frequently... Even when there isnt much material. I plan to do the same with this one.
     
    HDRock likes this.
  15. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
    I'll try to get a review of the Liberty this winter. I know a few FHC members have one and seem to like it.
     
    HDRock likes this.
  16. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
    Ok, this stove rocks- put a few VERY ugly and big chunks in it about 30mins ago and got 550 stt with a clean burn.

    Perfect stove for shorties, uglies, and large pieces that wont fit nicely in my 1750.
     
    Well Seasoned and HDRock like this.
  17. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Sounds like she's choochin real nice:thumbs::fire:
     
  18. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Should keep you warm with this cold front! Enjoy the heat!
     
    HDRock and BuckthornBonnie like this.
  19. BuckthornBonnie

    BuckthornBonnie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    3,318
    Location:
    Penn Yan, NY
  20. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    How are you liking it now that we have had some cold weather, does that stove have a bypass can't remember?