In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cook Stove -How Much?

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Grizzly Adam, Aug 2, 2016.

  1. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    It's seen better days, but we are thinking about putting an offer in on this monarch. How much do you think its worth?

    image.jpeg
     
  2. DaveGunter

    DaveGunter

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    3,894
    Likes Received:
    22,936
    Location:
    Far Away Ranch, Meadowbrook Forest
    Are you planning on using it? Hard to tell from a picture, is it in serviceable shape? What's the asking price?
     
    Well Seasoned and Eric VW like this.
  3. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    No asking price, and it is hard to tell from the picture but thats all we have to go off of right now. Belongs to a family member, we would like to use it.
     
  4. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,143
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    Adam, I have a book that has "some Monarchs" in them and it all depends on it's condition. From what I can see, a $250.00 price wouldn't be bad if you got it for that. In perfect condition it's bring about $1000.00:cool: Make "sure" the bottom is not rusted out/through.
     
  5. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,143
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
  6. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I know Scotty Overkill may have some experience with them, and can maybe help on a price
     
  7. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,143
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    I'll tell ya Buddy, If I had the chance at something like that "and" had a place to put it I'd "Jump on it as fast as I could" if the price was right!!!:cool: I've Been to Coaly's house and he has a big Kitchen queen, Man that thing throws some heat and it's such a conversation piece. That would be beautiful in your home I'm sure if you take the time with it! :)
     
    papadave, Well Seasoned and Eric VW like this.
  8. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,143
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    When I get up to the "promise land" and build my home, I'm on the hunt for one of them!
     
    Well Seasoned and Eric VW like this.
  9. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    And you'll find 'Em, that's for sure!
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  10. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    We arent planning to install it in this residence, but rather storing it until we find a nice place in the country.
     
  11. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,780
    Likes Received:
    66,370
    Location:
    Central PA
    I'd say, realistically and to be safe, that an offer of 500 or lower would be very fair for that stove given it is in sound and reasonable good condition. Look for working grates, any cracks in the iron or cooktop, sound firebox and oven box, good porcelain, etc.

    Restored ones go for upwards of 1k or more, and it ain't cheap to restore one correctly.
     
    WeldrDave, Well Seasoned and papadave like this.
  12. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,780
    Likes Received:
    66,370
    Location:
    Central PA
    WeldrDave, Well Seasoned and papadave like this.
  13. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,143
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    I am by "FAR" knowledgable on these things, but I have followed them and watched them for years! I too want one of those but it's just not practical in this house. :( I will own one some day!:)
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  14. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    My wife too, wanted one for our kitchen when we installed the little Hamton, but we just didn't have the room and it would have been way too much heat for the space. The Hampton has turned out perfect for heat, just not much for cooking. Although we have cooked on it when the power was off. Nothing quite like self reliance. Chief
     
    schlot, WeldrDave and Viking80 like this.
  15. LodgedTree

    LodgedTree

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    9,428
    Location:
    Maine
    I saw one a few months back like that in mint shape for $650 and it eventually sold.