In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

12 volt wiring question

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by bocefus78, Jan 28, 2014.

  1. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    I am going to hook up a 10w 12 volt led flood light to my shed at the camper. From my research, I cant find a wiring table that goes lower than 5 amps and this thing isn't going to pull 1 amp.

    What sized wire would be appropriate but leave me enough capacity to add 1 more 10w light if necessary? One way run length would be approx. 25 feet at the longest and as little as 10 feet depending on light placement.

    Thanks.
     
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Personally I would just pick up some cheap 14 gauge house wire. More than enough and cheap.
     
  3. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
  4. NW Walker

    NW Walker

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    406
    Likes Received:
    1,130
    Location:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Once you start using low power devices such as LEDs on a low voltage DC system, the voltage drop calcs start to become a non issue and physical strength of the install becomes more important. I personally don't like to go much below 16g wire for lighting runs as the crimps start to get really weak with smaller wire gauges. I would recommend 14 or 16 gauge for that reason, plenty of cable for the load and enough physical strength for your terminations.
     
    Gary_602z likes this.
  5. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    I would also run it in conduit or plastic to keep rodents from chewing on it.

    Gary
     
  6. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    Cool. Ordered a spool of 16 and an in line fuse holder. This light will be for nighttime maple sap boiling. Last year the open fire lit up the area. I'm using a pos stove this year so I won't have any light.I can't go loosing my beer every 5 minutes!
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  7. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,614
    Location:
    IN
    Speaker wire works good for 12V LED wiring. That's what I'm using on LED strip lights. I think it is 22GA and that's overkill for the power draw.