In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

DIY plumbing escapades, success and ooops

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by wildwest, Mar 30, 2016.

  1. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,668
    Likes Received:
    144,686
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Pat me on the shoulder, than have a good laugh :rofl: :lol:

    Cold water line to kitchen faucet was clogged when we moved here. Remodeled, professional plumber did a total gut. New pipes, sink, faucet and hoses. Fast forward, cold water to new kitchen faucet is at a dribble again (thank goodness hot runs full stream) and the cold lines in all other places run well only the cold water in the kitchen sink.....

    Plumber said there could be a clog in the line. I turned the valves off under the sink, unhooked the water line after bothering WWW too many times for a bigger crescent wrench (we lost total control of tools since we moved here without a tool bench and so much remodeling, this is your opportunity all you hubbys to groan outloud for WWW that went searching in the freezing cold garage for them). I unhook the R/O filter from the the cold water line=clear. Unhook the hose from R\O to faucet=clear. Plumber said to check the screen, what screen?
    IMG_20160330_143123609 (2).jpg


    Just a few black specks after banging the lines around in the cooking pot. (yes, dirty pot from sink if you are wondering, only the black specks are from line)
    IMG_20160330_144000392.jpg

    Then tested cold water main to sink, turned on valve with bucket handy. Loud shriek, managed to spray myself with freezing cold water :hair:

    Bypass R/O, hook up line to cold valve and try again in bucket, yep, runs nice and strong. Only possibilities left are with the faucet itself or the extension hose from faucet. Bothered WWW again to borrow his Petzel headlamp (Stinny ). Found the clog!! Started scraping with a jewelers screwdriver, I could not remove it. Scraped it harder, ooops. Scraped a hole in the screen and figured I might as well even it out and see if there is junk behind the small opening.....Hey atleast the clog is gone:emb:
    :picard:
    IMG_20160330_151926284.jpg

    Now I can FINALLY water my plants without the pitcher taking an hour to fill up or a hot pitcher cool off overnight, and fill my aquarium up with normal temps, and now know what hose is cheapest to replace if, I mean when it happens again.
     
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    basod, milleo, Stinny and 5 others like this.
  2. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,731
    Likes Received:
    224,507
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Did you also check the screen at the very end of the faucet? Or did I read over this whole thread too fast? Mine at the cottage has to be cleaned about monthly.
     
    papadave, Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  3. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,652
    Likes Received:
    130,700
    Location:
    Vermont
    wildwest ,just went thru similar at rental house after tenant poured bacon grease down sink and said sink was broken wasn't broken drain was clogged :headbang: bacon grease on kitchen 1st floor to a 60 degree basement solidify in drain and clog.. who would have guessed that...

    next week tenant calls says hot water in a drip.. go down and sure enough but shut off is leaking so I replace it still no pressure so order new cartridge from Moen wait week but free. still no pressure ... I had already pulled hot line with faucet wrench.. water in plenty of pressure I got sprayed too:doh:. build up going from left faucet handle to arch cleaned with pipe cleaner it works...

    I got to be old got 4 faucet wrenches nobody uses those anymore and keep pipe cleaners in plumbing kit..!!
     
    Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  4. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,668
    Likes Received:
    144,686
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I did Yoops, the screen in the aerator where the water comes out? Yes, that was totally clean. I neglected to mention that in my first post, ooops again.
     
  5. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,731
    Likes Received:
    224,507
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    I'll be asking you for advice pretty soon!
    [​IMG]
     
    Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  6. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,668
    Likes Received:
    144,686
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Ha!! I found a killer deal for WWW on a tool chest several years ago, it came with tools in it. We (he) already had all our favorite tools hanging up on his tool bench. Easy to find which one we needed so he ended up using the tool box but storing the extra tools (Stanley brand). Sure enough he ended up finding me one of the Stanley wrenches, like a miniature pipe wrench, the kind that you slide the up and down for different sizes. Awesome!

    So, I have only used cleaners in the all in one thingy that brushes the outside of the pipe for soldering, is there another kind that you are using? Like a bottle brush-ish kind?
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  7. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,668
    Likes Received:
    144,686
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Ha!! No way!! I will bet you a bunch of money I will need your advice before I can offer you any. Unless you need help on an aquarium:rofl: :lol::rolleyes::rofl: :lol:
     
  8. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,239
    Likes Received:
    97,547
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    This screen/clog is in the flex supply to the faucet? On the end where the supply connects to faucet?
    I've never seen a screen on a flexible supply
     
  9. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,731
    Likes Received:
    224,507
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Thats what had me confuzzeled too!
     
    Eric VW, wildwest and TurboDiesel like this.
  10. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,239
    Likes Received:
    97,547
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Don't even know why you would want a screen there
     
    Stinny, Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  11. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,239
    Likes Received:
    97,547
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    I've seen the FloodSafe with the shut off for when the flex bursts...What a pain...
     
    Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  12. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,668
    Likes Received:
    144,686
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Guess I should take another pic? Keep in mind I use womanspeak, sorry:(
     
    milleo, Stinny, papadave and 2 others like this.
  13. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,575
    Location:
    US
    Definitely odd.
    And hey- you just change your avatar like 5 minutes ago?:whistle:
    :)
     
    TurboDiesel and wildwest like this.
  14. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,575
    Location:
    US
    Wildwest womanspeak, nonetheless :rofl: :lol:
    :thumbs:
     
  15. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,668
    Likes Received:
    144,686
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    The hose with the screen is from the faucet, this pic is taken while laying on my back in the cabinet (yikes I will pay for this tomorrow from sore muscles being overused). See the square sides that to hold it still to wrench the hose loose?
    IMG_20160330_151926284.jpg

    Here is a new shot, still from the bottom of the sink cabinet, I was shooting in the dark but hope this tells you something? This is the SS hose I thought was clogged but was not, that connects to the brass/copper 1/2 square hose that goes to the faucet with the screen.


    IMG_20160330_200125871.jpg
     
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Stinny, yooperdave and Eric VW like this.
  16. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,668
    Likes Received:
    144,686
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I like Turbos new avatar too!! Wondering which dog it is though?
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  17. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,575
    Location:
    US
    WW WS strikes again!
    Please be careful twisting yourself into a pretzel HR!
    :)
     
  18. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,575
    Location:
    US
    Read his sig line......:D
     
    TurboDiesel and wildwest like this.
  19. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,668
    Likes Received:
    144,686
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Thanks Eric:)
     
    Eric VW and TurboDiesel like this.
  20. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,239
    Likes Received:
    97,547
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    This is a permanent part of the faucet? Copper tube and brass threaded fitting brazed to it?
     
    Stinny, Eric VW and wildwest like this.