In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

duck Proenneke... new cool info about him

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Stinny, Feb 15, 2015.

  1. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
  2. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,336
    Location:
    Central PA
    I LOVE this guy and his movies about his quest in Alaska. Thanks for sharing this "new to me" footage Stinny!
     
  3. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    Thanks for sharing man. Good stuff.
     
    Well Seasoned, XXL and Stinny like this.
  4. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    For those that didn't know about duck Proenneke...myself included;)



     
  5. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    Watched alone in the wilderness again last night. That guy was a working machine and an amazing woodworker with minimal hand tools.
     
  6. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Ole duck was quite a guy...
     
    Smokinpiney likes this.
  7. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Yea I love the guy and his movies "alone in the wilderness" PBS/ETV shows them and has them in rerun every now n then.
     
    unclefess and Stinny like this.
  8. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    The movies are like an hour long each. There is two that I know of...maybe three?


    He lived there into his 80s. Then moved to Cali with family for the rest of his life. I know a portion at the end he would fly back to cali for the winter and just stay out there in the summer.

    He had a cabin exemption and was in the middle of the park. And to this day his cabin is still a kept up by NPS
     
    unclefess and Stinny like this.
  9. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Just watched the Public TV special on him last week. Pretty amazing. I think I work pretty hard, but after watching him I felt like a slug. :)
     
  10. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,380
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Every hoarders dream?

    Always enjoy watching the specials on fundraising time of PBS.
     
    Stinny and schlot like this.