Once the trail back in freezes again I'll be checking this tree out, I'm hoping Sugar Maple. I'll end up splitting this in the spring, if it's a maple. This is down the trail from the area I worked today.
When it's not real cold out but you still need a fire just to take the chill off, so you use your lower btu woods.
Shoulder season = Spring and fall. It comes from the travel industry: (travel industry) The time between high and low season in a travelmarket, or, if the market is divided into four segments, the time just below high season.
I'd also call warm stretches of warm weather in the middle of winter "shoulder weather". It will be in the 40s today so I won't need many btu to keep our little house warm. Maple and some uglies today.
I always understood it came from the thing that women have. They get a little cool and wrap something on their shoulders. Doesn't really matter though. zap, I can't tell from the picture what that is.
It was at the end of the day (tired & rain coming in) so I was not going for a close up. Unless we get a ton of snow, I'll find out real soon. It's either a Maple or Basswood, not many big Basswood in that area.
I'm looking forward to bucking it up, it's not that far off the main trail so it should be easy getting to.
I took care of the Maple today, sorry about getting the snow dirty! I'm not sure if I'll split this tomorrow or this spring but it will make for some nice firewood, attached are some pictures from today.