In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My big yard light died, fix or replace?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by HDRock, Sep 11, 2015.

  1. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'd go ahead and put an LED in. It'll run cheaper (those older ones probably cost you $5-10/month depending on how long it's on) and the light is instant on....no waiting for it to warm up if it's on a motion sensor. I had on on a utility pole when I bought the place, but the pole fell on my wife and I (scary, scary evening!). I haven't bothered to replace it, instead I bought some LED security lights and attached them to the shed, and now I have a lot more light output.
     
    HDRock and papadave like this.
  2. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    if it's about security, buy the brightest light made. If your looking to save money, go with LED for long term savings. The new CFL's seem to fall somewhere in the middle.
     
    HDRock likes this.
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I bought a cheap motion light for the front of the house to shine into the shed. One of the bulbs died (40watt CFL), but the one still there kicks out pretty good, although it takes a minute to get full bright.
    I think I'll end up putting a couple LED bulbs in that one.
    The front porch light has an LED enclosed and works great.
     
    HDRock likes this.
  4. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    New bulb no worky :(

    20150911_113527.jpg
     
    Stinny likes this.
  5. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Can't like that.
     
    HDRock likes this.
  6. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Hopefully can take it back and start planning what you want for a new unit.
     
    papadave and HDRock like this.
  7. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Yeah I asked if I could return it , they yes.

    I want something that's going to light up like the old one , I need it lit up good down here on this dead end street , far as I see grime is only getting worse .
    Looking at
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_595898-337-AL3050LPCGY_1z10fio__

    http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor.../p-2184521-c-7544.htm?tid=4609196812955288405

    http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor.../p-1365483-c-7544.htm?tid=3316119560043537665

    I don't know how to compare these different kinds of lights
     
    Stinny likes this.
  8. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    You probably already have seen this or something similar?

    E-lite Star offers LED replacement for 175W mercury-vapor exterior barn lights

    Published on: May 5, 2014

    [​IMG]
    Meet the energy efficient alternative for your obsolete 175-watt mercury vapor exterior barn lights Excellence Opto, Inc. is pleased to announce the introduction of the e-lite star™ BR1 LED Dusk-to-Dawn Barn Light. Utilizing only 42-watt to replace the 100-watt High Pressure Sodium (HPS) traditional fixtures, the BR1 LED barn lights deliver a high efficacy of up to 90 lm/W with more than 55% in energy savings. It is a great replacement for 175-watts equivalent of Mercury Vapor (MV) barn lights or 100-watt equivalent of High Pressure Sodium (HPS) barn lights. Having an option of wall or pole mount, BR1 has applications that are not just limited to traditional perimeter and security lighting. Its applications also include those for rural homes, large yards, parking lots, garage, sheds, utility poles, area and roadway lighting.

    [​IMG]

    The BR1 LED barn light generates a total of 3955 lumen output, available in 4200K color temperature with a minimum of 70 Color Rendering Index (CRI). The luminaire is an IP65 design that is suitable for wet locations. Available in a Type V photometric distribution, the BR1 comes complete with a tool-less attachable 10" open bottom acrylic diffuser to cast a wider range of area lighting coverage with an option of a full cutoff optic reflector or an open bottom acrylic refractor. It is equipped with 10kV/10kA surge protection device and a standard 120~277 VAC Power Supply with a Class II Driver. An optional 347~477 VAC is available upon request.

    BR1 is equipped with quality components from inside out. The luminaire is an IP65 design that is suitable for wet locations with a die-cast aluminum housing, an integral slip fitter and durable weather resilient grey color powder coat finish. Easy to install and maintain with a tool-less access lineman latch that allow quick access to power chamber without tools and equipped with a twist-lock photo control. BR1 is lightweight (8.8 lbs) and designed for durability. It can withstand tough environments and can operate in an ambient temperature range of -40°F ~ +122°F.

    The e-lite star™ BR1 LED Dusk-to-Dawn Barn Light can last more than 60,500 hours based on IES LM-80 results and TM-21 calculations, reducing maintenance and re-lamping costs that normally existed with traditional lighting. BR1 comes with a standard five-year limited warranty. With better performance and energy savings, the simple and yet valuable BR1 LED dusk-to-dawn barn light is an excellent replacement for your exterior lighting fixtures.

    Excellence Opto, Inc. (EOI), based in California, is a manufacturing company established in 1995, specializes in LED traffic signals, LED roadway and area lighting, LED industrial lighting and LED automotive lighting. With vertical integration of optical, mechanical, electrical and thermal design, EOI's Solid-State Lighting (SSL) solutions are proven for high-quality illumination with lower energy usage, cost-efficient, and ease of maintenance.
     
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    savemoney, papadave and HDRock like this.
  9. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Not really, but some I'm looking at are kinda like that

    This seems like it might spread the light out better.
    http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...t/p-2428485-c-7544.htm?tid=258830987581068182
    What do ya think about the ones I'm looking at ?
     
    papadave and Stinny like this.
  10. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I really like the LEDs because of cost savings and pure white light. I never liked the MV or MH orange glow lighting. I'll bet you'd be OK with slightly less output with the LED, just because of the pure white. Guess you'll have to try one to really see how it compares to the ole MV.
     
    HDRock and papadave like this.
  11. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,132
    Likes Received:
    163,317
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    More lumens = more light. (FYI, your old MV bulb was probably around 7500 lumens)
    Then you have to look at the design to see if it will disperse the light or focus it more in one general area.
     
    HDRock likes this.
  12. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,132
    Likes Received:
    163,317
    Location:
    NE Ohio
  13. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,132
    Likes Received:
    163,317
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Just curious, how long did you wait after covering the eye up? They can take up to 5 minutes to switch on...
     
    HDRock likes this.
  14. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    can you put a couple motion lights up along with the MV to alert you to trespassers?
    or mines with trip wires:bug::rofl: :lol:
     
    HDRock and brenndatomu like this.
  15. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    :rofl: :lol:
     
    papadave likes this.
  16. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Waited a bit , then, Left new bulb in there 2-3 hrs ,eye covered up, while I was searching for a new one , no go
     
  17. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    Fluorescent is no good outside. They are very sensitive to cold. If you need to replace, LED all the way.
     
    HDRock, savemoney and papadave like this.
  18. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    The ones I have in the porch lights are
     
  19. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,132
    Likes Received:
    163,317
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    My security light is a CFL...no problems, works everyday no matter the temp. Probably takes a bit longer to come on full bright, dunno, never noticed
     
    HDRock likes this.
  20. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,287
    Likes Received:
    58,545
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    My barn has fluorescent bulbs inside...they sell them for cold weather, expensive and I think they are high outpit or something like that
     
    HDRock likes this.