In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

combustable clearance question

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by TurboDiesel, Dec 2, 2013.

  1. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Hi guys.
    Getting a liner installed today in my chimney. This is a basement install for the wood stove.
    Concrete floor, block walls about 7' high, open rafters. The thimble is about 14" down from the rafters. Next year I'm planning to raise the house 32"(4 courses of block.) But for now this is how it will be.
    So the question is, is 14" from the top of the connector pipe to the rafters safe?
    I'm thinking I might put up 2 layers of drywall above the stove. Maybe a 8x8 area.
    What's your thoughts ?
     
  2. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    I have a heat shield for on top of your stove pipe to decrease clearances to combustibles. It just sits on top of the stove pipe with spacers. I didn't think you'd need it. The owners manual tells you clearances. Read it ;)
     
  3. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    If you're using single wall pipe, CtoC is 18"
    Can be reduced if you use a shield to 6" from a wall or 8" from the ceiling.

    Edit: Double post, Brian is quick.
     
    papadave and BrianK like this.
  4. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Is that for open rafters or for drywall? Or doesn't it matter?
     
  5. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    I would if you had given it to ME!!:whistle:
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  6. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    I brought it 45 miles to dinner.

    You couldn't get it the last three miles to home?!?

    Geez, kids these days. :p
     
    papadave likes this.
  7. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    And when did you tell me it was there?
    2 minutes after I posted this question. lol
     
  8. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    I edited to include shielded measurements. Measurements vary for ceiling vs wall, but not by material.
     
  9. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Hoping to get it hooked up today and start my first fire
    If I do get it goin...I'm gonna sit in front of it all nite... drinking eggnog moonshine and watching the flames!


    Do you guys open a window to make sure your draft stays good?
     
    papadave and fox9988 like this.
  10. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    TD if the stove has been exposed to humidity and moisture for long, you need to do a couple of small break in fires. Shouldn't take long. Brian probably mentioned it if he thought it was necessary.
    You shouldn't need to crack a window but basements can be a little odd. If the wood is sluggish to get going try it. The window not the moonshine:fire:
     
    papadave and BrianK like this.
  11. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Brian was using the Fireview until he got the Ideal.
    It went straight from his house to my basement. I just put in a new oil furnace and the duct work isn't in yet. So my basement is hotter than the hinges of #$!!. And dryer than........
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  12. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    And you are going to build a fire down there and,
    "...sit in front of it all nite... drinking eggnog moonshine and watching the flames!"? :D:rofl: :lol::thumbs::MM:
     
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  13. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    Redneck sauna?
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  14. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    Is the chimney thimble insulated? If not it needs to be 18".
     
  15. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    BrianK likes this.
  16. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    Alzheimer's. Careful there Bro, it runs in the family. o_O
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  17. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Whooohooo! I'm about 7 hours into the first fire. It's going to take some getting used to. I haven't fired a wood stove in thirty years! Basement is toasty warm and the first floor is holding at 68-70. About the same as when I was using the oil furnace. Feels good! Probably sit up all nite and watch it. Ohh...did I tell ya the oil furnace is turned OFF
     
  18. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    What kind of stove top temps were you able to get?
     
  19. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    stove top 500-600*
    Need to check the moisture level of the locust splits. I had to mix the kiln dried with the locust and run the draft at 2 to get those temps
    I'm really surprised that the flue temps are only 250-350.
     
    Oldhippie likes this.
  20. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    The cat keeps the heat in the firebox so you don't lose the BTUs up the chimney.

    I've got a spare maul at home if you need something to split with to check moisture levels.
     
    papadave likes this.