In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any opinions on a Scag V ride?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Screwloose, Aug 23, 2024 at 4:50 PM.

1. Horkn

Horkn

Scags are super fast compared to others. At least on the sit down models. Stand ups may be slower, due I think obvious reasons. That price on that hustler is a good deal. But that might be non serviceable transaxles.

2. Horkn

Horkn

Bad boy revolt SD has 2800 serviceable transaxles kawi v twin 34" is 5400. Msrp. Probably can get a better deal now at the end of season

TBH I haven't really done any research on stander models. Sit downs, sure.

3. Screwloose

Screwloose

Maybe I need to look into this a bit more. I don't want to get a low quality machine and have to duck around with it down the road. What brands are worth getting? This is the last mower I'm going to ever buy sort of thing. I take over the top care of my ope. My ariens walk behind was bought in '96 and is still going strong.

4. Screwloose

Screwloose

Also speed is not much of a concern for me btw. I'd probably fall off, still might going slow......

5. Horkn

Horkn

All the major brands are good for the most part, it's what transaxles are in them. Hydrogear zt2800 or I have serviceable transaxles. After that look at the gauge thickness of the deck. With a stand up, they are all commercial units. Nobody makes these due residential use really. The zt1800 isn't serviceable with a filter you can replace, but it's possible it has a drain so you could drain and put in new fluid when wanted. You'd have to check. I bet they are. That zt1800 propelled says is a commercial unit. Other things are look for a welded frame, but again, seeing as stand ups are all commercial they will be. In all the sit down ztrs I've looked at, they all have welded frames, even the residential ones.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yup, buy whatever you can get a good deal on that has a well designed HD deck, the engine brand/model that you like, and for Pete's sake, don't buy anything with non serviceable hydro drives! There are plenty of good choices out there...and like Hork said, its the right time of the year to get a deal on a new leftover model from springtime

eatonpcat, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  7. Born2Burn

Born2Burn

Scag is top of the line build quality and cut quality. I've owned two std. Scag zero turns. Wouldn't buy anything else - even as a homeowner with a yard half full of clover and crab grass.

The v-Ride, as I'm told by my lawn jockey buddies, is great for smaller lots and hills. It excels at tight spaces.

I wouldn't want to be mowing a 2 acre field on a standing unit, but depending on your application, it could be the cats meow!

8. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Yep there are plenty of happy turf guys running around here with Hustlers. They tend to be smaller independent outfits. They seem like well built units. At least the sit on ZTs I’ve looked at anyway.

eatonpcat, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  9. Dunmyer mowing llc

Dunmyer mowing llc

If your using a commercial machine for use on 1 yard it will last you 30 years at least if you maintain it properly.
    No matter the brand, a true commercial machine should be good for 2500 to 3k hours with proper maintenance.
    If you can push mow you yard in 1 hr I bet it's 15 min on that scag.
    2500hr x 60 =150,000 min
    150,000min÷15min cut time= 10k cuts
    10k cut÷ by let's say 30 cuts a year is 333yrs of life

10. Dunmyer mowing llc

Dunmyer mowing llc

Our standers are faster than our sitdowns
    We run Deere and toro

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I run a 2006 Hustler mini z 52"...been very happy with it...we have a 72" diesel z at work, that's been great too. We have a dealer right down the road and it seems many people in this area either run Hustler, or Ventrac (made locally) Ventracs have their purpose, but too pricey for the average guy to cut his 1-2 acres with.
    Toros seem to be popular with many commercial guys around here too.

12. Screwloose

Screwloose

Will this Scag or any of them fit in a 6' pickup? If so what ramps are good?
    I'd like to offer use of it to my son and that is all he has.
    Is there any reason I should avoid the Scag? Since hours will be very little and I'm maintenance conscious the Scag should hold it's value....... Looks like not much more since it's the out the door price.

13. Dunmyer mowing llc

Dunmyer mowing llc

Ramps are scary, I've flipped a zero turn on myself on ramps on a pickup.
    Highly recommend a cheap trailer.
    The scag should make a hell of a machine for you.
    I take care of 6 commercial mowers at work.
    We run full synthetic 20w50 changed every 50hr with filter changed every 100hr
    Hydros get a break in fluid and filter change at 50 hrs. With fluid only drops every 250hr and filters every 500.
    I've found John Deere hy guard to give the best feel in hydros.

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

X2...ramps are bad news with mowers, but maybe less so with one like this

15. Screwloose

Screwloose

I have hy guard in most every hydraulic unit i have, splitter, presses, winches ect. Takes the guesswork and chances of cross contamination out of the equation.
    I figured I'd never be satisfied with a fluid manufacturer and type change on my tractor. With implements, the backhoe........hoses, valves, nooks and crannies I'd drive myself nuts. Ok....more nuts trying to flush it all out. Easier to do it to everything else. Plus it is quick and easy to get.

Barcroftb, Eric VW, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I haven't priced hyguard in a long time, is it priced like everything else that says JD on it?

Barcroftb, Eric VW, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  17. Screwloose

Screwloose

Honestly I never pay attention...... what am I going to do? cry??
    I don't use enough to break the bank. Plus if you don't need to buy other brands you don't really prompt yourself to compare.

Barcroftb, Eric VW, eatonpcat and 4 others like this.
  18. Screwloose

Screwloose

Don't want to come across as Mr moneybags, crazy far from it. Basically I will pay up front for longevity if reasonable. Our vehicles are a 1998, and 2 2001's. So if I spring for a mower it'll be good to go for mowing my grave.
    I told my kids part of being frugal was getting the backhoe with the tractor. As they can dig my grave and it will be even more money saved.

Barcroftb, Eric VW, eatonpcat and 4 others like this.
  19. Horkn

Horkn

Fwiw, when I was looking for stand-up mowers due you, I found the exact Scag with only like 40 hours on it , same year iirc in Michigan and it was 7800.

If you want to buy a Scag, sure, go ahead, but the Buyer in me has a hard time paying more for a name when the running gear and everything else is the same for less $ in other brands.

20. Screwloose

Screwloose

Supposed to have Parker pumps, valves and wheel motors. Unless I'm reading something wrong they are the only ones doing that. I've never had an issue with anything parker.

Barcroftb, Horkn, Eric VW and 2 others like this.