Splitter developed a new leak. I noticed hoses getting wet. Took a rag and wrapped connection and it got worse. Is this a simple tighten the fitting or is there a "washer" inside that needs replacement. Splitter was bought June of last year. What happens if fluid gets too low? Is this detrimental to the machine? Makes me want to buy an electric flywheel splitter.
Low is detrimental. Most likely it will shut off at that point and you'll be scratching your head wondering why because it has fuel and engine oil.
This ^ ^ ^...even if that is an oring type flange (doubtful) it may still just be loose, or worse case scenario, need a new oring. And if its coming from the pipe threads, just remove the fitting, clean the treads up, install a quality hydraulic pipe dope (I prefer the kinds that harden) and reinstall the fitting. Whatever you do, don't let it run out of oil...that could trash your pump (although they are not super expensive though either) but, it would take a pretty good leak for a long time for the pump to suck air...and you would have to run the pump dry (sucking air) for quite a while to trash it...which I have no idea why someone would do that, cuz the splitter would not be working at the point.
Use a backup wrench. It should be good and snug. I had one go bad on mine a while back. It was cracked under the nut. Replaced with copper and it lasted almost two year I replaced it with a hydraulic hose. All good.
Put an adjustable wrench to that fitting. Loosened then tightened it. Wrapped a clean fresh rag around it and fired it up. Ran for an hour or so until it ran out of gas. Checked a couple times and at the end and did not see any oil on the rag. Thanks for your input FHC! Much appreciated! Is it common for fitting to loosen on a hydro? Are minor drips kinda the norm?
Drips/leaks and loose fittings are NOT normal. If the fittings are assembled properly, they should stay tight and dry. I have worked in industrial settings with hydraulics and can tell you that fitting/hose leaks and loose fittings are caused by poor assembly practices. The fittings need to be the same type, clean, and sealed/tightened as required. I have seen many fittings assembled with dirt/crud on them after laying on a shop floor. They always leaked and usually had to be replaced because the surfaces were scratched from the crud. Of all the hydraulic lines, fittings, pumps, and cylinders I have worked on, none leak. Dry is the only way they leave my shop. You may need to go through and check all fittings/connections. I like to go through any new piece of equipment I get, used or new, just to make sure everything is good/right.
On my splitter the valve has an occasional drip and the plumbing to the pressure gauge oozes. It’s a shade tree fabricator special and I wouldn’t trade it for any bone dry store unit.
Me too...but we are talking about made in china big box store splitters that were likely assemled by Jimmy while he was talking on the phone with his lil buddies about their fortnight game last night. It's not uncommon for stuff to loosen up and/or drip a bit...should it? No, not if everything was high quality and assembled properly, but we are talking BBS splitters so...
Leaking where the steel tube goes into the 90 degree fitting? That should be a flare fitting where the tube has a flare under the nut. Try loosening the nut and retighten it. I have seen some where the tube cracks in that area most likely caused by vibration. You want to take a look at it I can meet you there some night. Just let me know.
Exactly what i ended up doing. When i tried tightening (tight quarters) it didnt seem to move so i did the former and walla...no leak. Ill keep the rag on it and check it from time to time.