In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sharpener Setter Combo

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Ward Hoarder, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Received this about 2 weeks ago. Some assembly required. All went well until I went to hook up the return line for the coolant and found that the coupler on the grinder is metric and the plumbing is sch. 40 npt. Woodmizer is working on a solution to fix the problem. Virus is slowing down shipping. Ordered a new wheel with a 10 deg. Hook angle and a 30 deg. Back angle. More pics to follow when I get it all out together.

Attached Files:

FatBoy85, Woodsnwoods, Camber and 5 others like this.
  2. Unclefish

Unclefish

I have been looking hard at different band saw grinders. I cut mostly Eastern Red Cedar and Pine. I have about 50 blades that need to be sharpened. A lot of them have hit nails in the Cedar trees from the old farms around here.
    I have only run Woodmizer double hards mostly 10 deg. I just do this basically for hobby so it's hard to justify spending A lot. Don't understand why they say the woodmizer ones won't sharpen nail hit blades, so I have been looking at the Cooks Cat Claw. Which is close to 3000 with setter. Or the woodland mills deal for around a 1100.
    I really wouldn't mind getting one like you ordered if it would do nail hits.

FatBoy85, Woodsnwoods, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  3. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Update on build. Spent most of the day tinkering with the new grinder. Definitely a learning process.
    Owners manual doesn't say anything about nail hits. Took a picture of the manual.
    On the Internet there's videos of the grinder in operation and how to use it. They are pretty useful. Also the manual is available online, it's like 57-60 pages long. Hope this helps you decide.

Attached Files:

Woodsnwoods, JB Sawman, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  4. Unclefish

Unclefish

Looks good. I read it on 1 of the forums about nail hits. And there is even a a YouTube video where some one has both machines a woodmizer and he kept his cook's cat claw just for metal hit blades. I am not sure why, sure someone could enlighten us on it.

buzz-saw, JB Sawman, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  5. Unclefish

Unclefish

How you liking that sharpener ???
    They ever correct the coolant plumbing for ya ?
    I did see a video on nail hits that he just regrinds it to 4 degree and uses them on projects where quality doesn't count.
    I still haven't made up my mind yet. But keep looking at the one you bought.

JB Sawman, Horkn, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Still learning, but like it so far. Yes Woodmizer found a fix for the problem. Sharpened one Saturday that had 2 tips broken off, not the whole tooth. I didn't see where it hit anything. Will try it out soon, still have several older small logs to work on. Any questions please pm me and I'll try to answer.

FatBoy85, JB Sawman, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  7. MAF143

MAF143

I have one of the woodland mill sharpeners and it works fairly nice. Not having an automatic sharpener would drive me nuts. I am going to build my own setter, but I haven't got to it yet. I have a plan on a knapkin and have some of the materials so far. I have 4 blades that have hit metal and one that is totally destroyed. From what I've seen so far (still a rookie with 2 years on the mill but just as a hobby) the one's that have hit metal need to be set. I sharpened them but they just aren't up to cutting locust after that. After examining the blades with the metal hits, the set is pretty well trashed so I'm thinking once we get set back in line, they should be OK after a good sharpening. Most of what we cut is hardwood and I sharpen everything to 7* and it seems to work well.

The setter I'm planning on making will only work on the blades we buy for this mill. We'll stay with the same blades all the time to keep the expense down and make the setter easier to make. Planning on being able to set 6 teeth at a time and manually move the blade for the next setting press. Low cost manual but doing 6 at a time so it's not quite as painful...

JB Sawman, Horkn, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Had a little time to spare this evening so I decided to sharpen a couple of blades. First time resharpening for these 2 blades. I find that the factory gullets are not all the same. It usually takes a second grind to get them all even or grind on them more than I care to do. Have a few more waiting on me to get at. I've been slacking a little lately.

Attached Files:

FatBoy85, JB Sawman, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  9. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Raining and icy today so took advantage of it and sharpened a few blades. Burning uglies and shorts and listening to music. What a way to start the new year.

Attached Files:

FatBoy85 and JB Sawman like this.
  10. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Sounds like a great way to spend the day just rain here no ice glad to see you are getting the sharpening down JB

11. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Snowing here. We have about 4" and the wind is blowing hard. So I'm in the shop burning uglies and listening to music again.
    Had 5 blades to sharpen and set. After 5 blades of sharpening and setting I'm about ready to go in and eat.

Attached Files:

JB Sawman likes this.
  12. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

I have a co-worker that just bought a Mill and has 80+ blades to sharpen. They are a size I can't sharpen. My sharpener will only do 7/8" tooth space and he has 1.25".
    Bummer, I could have picked up a little side gig.

FatBoy85 and JB Sawman like this.
  13. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Not sure if this is why but the woodmizer uses the CBN wheels that grinds everything in one shot. The cooks cat claw is a drag type sharpener that grinds everything as it passes through with basicly a standard grinding wheel ( cooks calls it a rock ) The Cat Claw is adjustable as far as what it takes off the entire profile of the blade depending on how you set it up.

I recently bought a Cat Claw and it does an amazing job once you get it figured out. I did make a couple modifications right out of the box to it but could have used it without doing so. There is a thread posted on what I did.

JB Sawman likes this.
  14. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

How long did it take you Ward ? to do them I am still kicking it around about doing my own JB

buzz-saw likes this.
  15. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Hey JB ,
    Hope alls well.
    Nothing like being able to just do your own. Then you are completely self sufficient so to speak.

I'm still learning here with this as just a hobby but it just keeps growing.
    Trying to expand on this as much as I can.

JB Sawman likes this.
  16. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

2-2.5 hours guessing. Was tinkering with the fire and drinking coffee. Also inspected blades pretty good, and measured set. About 28 thousands+-

JB Sawman likes this.
  17. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

These blades have been sharpened between 6-8 times. I don't let them get very dull and only have to touch them up. Woodmize says 2-3 times max.

FatBoy85, JB Sawman and buzz-saw like this.
  18. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I think it depends on how much you are taking off on each sharpening.
    Taking a little and sharpening before they get really dull should give you more sharpening's than a blade that was extremely dull and needs a good amount taken off to get it back.

Like you I try not to let them get too dull before I swap it out.

JB Sawman likes this.
  19. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Hey all is good my biggest problem is time to devote to sharpening and floor space in shop for sharpener I would need a addition to the shop for a sharpening area I have 21 months left of full time job then I will have some time but right now it would be tough but I was curious about the time it really takes to do it right now I am paying 7.00 a blade for sharpening but I did have some blades that did not cut well after getting them back so I was thinking about doing it myself again JB

20. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Tinkering with the fire usually means a nap in front of the stove for me and the dog :rofl: :lol:

Erik B likes this.