In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

4way wedge for my splitter

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Yawner

Yawner

I think I bought this splitter in 2016, a Countyline 25ton from Tractor Supply. They also sell a 4-way slip-on wedge, which doesn't look hefty enough to me, but it's the only one I am aware of, and I decided to try it. Well, it doesn't fit. It's about an eighth of an inch too small to fit over the existing wedge. Anyone know anything about this problem? Also, if you know where I can get a 4-way for this splitter, advise! Or do you think this 25ton is too small? I could only use it on smaller rounds, I have no problem with that. I'd rather it split whatever you put up there but I could live with it. Just hoping to increase production/hour! BTW, I split vertically while sitting. Would like to keep it that way if possible!

2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

25T should serve you just fine unless you are slicing up crotch pieces or splitting primarily knarly stuff. I've been really wanting a 4 way and it looks like the slip over is all I can get for my model splitter, so I'm curious on any recommendations for you.

3. Stumpy75

Stumpy75

The Speeco specs for the 4 way used to say it's to be used in softwoods only. I bought one for my 22 ton, and it strains on even fairly straight hardwoods. I split mainly silver maple and used to split a lot of ash(no longer available). I seldom use the 4 way any more.

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

Yawner I have a 37 ton splitter that I also picked up a 4-way for it.

I thought I was really going to enjoy it. I finally took it off and just use the conventional wedge.

I say bring your 4-way back for a refund since it doesn't fit anyway.

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Interesting. Can you give some feedback to someone 4-way curious? :rofl: :lol::smoke:

amateur cutter, Ohio, M2theB and 4 others like this.
  6. Hinerman

Hinerman

I had a 22 ton splitter and bought the slip over 4-way wedge. Broke it the first time I used it and got my money back. There is nothing out there that I know of. 25 ton is plenty for a 4 way...

DHT used to make what looked like a good one. You had to change the wedge out completely, which doesn't look like too much trouble. They are out of business but this may give you an idea if you have fabrication skills.

4-Way Log Splitter Wedge System - Dirty Hand Tools, Colorado USA

7. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I bought the same slip-on wedge and it actually fits my Black Diamond 27T. It is NOT what I would consider heavy duty. However, it you're working on a big batch of 10"-12" straight rounds, not full of knots and such, it works quite well. I found it is best to stage the right size wood to run all at the same time instead of taking off/putting back on for every other round. As others said, if it doesn't fit, take it back. I don't think there's enough metal to try to mod it.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I have read these same comments about the box store 4 ways before... doesn't fit right, and breaks quickly...don't remember reading a "love it" review yet...

9. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

People think a 4 way wedge is the ultimate. Then try and put one on a splitter that is made to be a conventional 2 way splitter.

I am on my 2nd splitter that was made to be a 4 way. It MUST be hydraulically adjustable and the wing needs to be lowered enough so it can still act as a conventional 2 way on hard to split wood.

Surprisingly enough, I don't use the 4 way a good part of the time due to how I want the wood to turn out. I prefer splitting into boards rather than pie shaped pieces.

DSCF0012.JPG DSCF0021.JPG

10. System

System

Mine came with a 4 way wedge and it's still sitting in the holder where it was when delivered. I'm too OCD about my splits and literally choose exactly where to put the wedge each time. I couldn't do that with a 4 way.

11. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

exactly. I had a 4 way on my previous splitter and I never used it after I tried it. I seem to micro-manage the size of my splits and a non-adjustable 4 way makes this almost impossible.

12. Buttercup

Buttercup

This is the one a friend of ours made. My splitter is a 22 ton huskee it’s handled everything I have used it for. The only thing I’ve seen is I can’t have the pieces right against the beam because it spreads it out and binds everything up. Once I figured that out everything has been good. 2F6503CF-238D-40AD-A294-AB2D80AD4B72.jpeg DF123A22-AF17-4711-94AF-E714F8B6F4AE.jpeg EEE039AC-00AD-4248-BD70-1AEFB8480111.jpeg

13. yooperdave

yooperdave

:picard:

:headbang:

14. M2theB

M2theB

3EAEF4DF-1BA6-4187-B279-4811379D768C.jpeg 1CAF5113-D734-4F10-A4D5-8CDBF6C3FF91.jpeg

Great topic. And hope this isn’t a total derail
    I’ve got a slip on the TW-1. They don’t advertise tons or mention it, but i think it’s comparable to 21.
    I like having it for the right wood and size. And I love having that wood and size. And having a lot lined up so I’m not constantly slipping it on and off.
    For that it’s great.
    For all others, it sits aside. It’s not worth slipping it on for the one off in the middle of knotty or crotch rounds

15. Flamestead

Flamestead

Thanks for posting your pics! I couldn’t find any of my TW-1, and yours shows what I wanted to mention: this wedge can be flipped for different heights. I always use it in the opposite orientation, which allows me to to split smaller pieces in half, going under the wings, rather than quartering them.
    I use the 4-way for about half my rounds, but not for the larger stuff.
    The online info says the TW-1 is 19 ton, whatever that really means.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  16. M2theB

M2theB

good point on the flip. I should have mentioned that.
    I do find I use it most on the small diameter side