In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cedar tar

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Stihl Kicking, Nov 30, 2021.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Along that same vain...people that open the bathroom doors by pushing on the handle with their feet...that just walked all over a nasty ole public restroom! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

2. Dave_in_abq

Dave_in_abq

That's an amazing sign stihl kicking. I gather they've had to pull some people out.

metalcuttr and Stihl Kicking like this.
  3. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

Makes you wonder what they've had to deal with to make a sign like that.. :picard:

metalcuttr and Dave_in_abq like this.
  4. Wolley

Wolley

What about the gasket hanging down?

5. billb3

billb3

This might be take-what-everyone-posts-out-of-context night. Full moon isn't until the 18th. :confused:

6. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

Good question! The door glass gasket is damaged, and in need of replacement. The stove is only 3 years old, and I'm on my second gasket, soon to be third. It's failing in the lower left corner where the seam is, for the 2nd time. The gasket is still holding between the glass and the door. I think the next time I replace it I am going to place the seam in the upper right corner. Is this a problem I need to be concerned about? IMG_9358(1).jpg

7. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Kindof a waste of good Mayo. Maybe an off brand that's on sale ;-)

8. Dave_in_abq

Dave_in_abq

Is there something catching on the gasket? Is there adhesive holding the gasket in place? It looks like there may be an air leak in that corner.

9. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

Nothing is catching on the gasket, no adhesive, just lay it in place around the edge of the glass and secure with 7 metal tabs. There's definitely something going on in that corner, maybe it is an air leak. Offhand it appears the gasket is fine between the door and the glass, it's the inside part that is failing. I'll take a closer look when I replace the gasket, which may be tomorrow.

metalcuttr likes this.
  10. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

An update on this failed glass gasket from a month ago,
    [​IMG]

There is an air leak in the door gasket right below the failure. When I replaced the door gasket last year, I used some extra cement at the joint, thinking it would help seal the ends together. That was my failure. It created the leak, which I'm sure had to cause the window gasket problem.

Using an old glass gasket, I cut a 14 inch length, to replace the failed section. I then used a strand from an old door gasket, and placed it when the air leak is. So far it seems to be working. The yellow circle shows where the air leak is. The other picture shows the temporary piece of gasket blocking the air lock. I'm hoping this gets me through till end of this season.
    IMG_9416(1).jpg IMG_9437(1).JPG

metalcuttr likes this.
  11. Dave_in_abq

Dave_in_abq

Has anybody tried cutting the gasket ends on a diagonal so the ends overlap?

Buzz Benton and metalcuttr like this.
  12. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

That's a good question. I'm thinking next time, I may overlap it by a 1/4 inch or so, and maybe weave the ends together before setting it in cement. I'm thinking the rounded groove the gasket sits in, should help keep the weaved ends together.

Another question, it seems like all the instructions for installing a door gasket, say to butt the ends together in the lower left corner. It seems like that is the hottest area in my stove, that's where the ash collects from the air flow in my stove. I'm wondering why not make the ends meet in the upper part of the door?

metalcuttr likes this.
  13. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

With the ridiculously mild temps we've had here in Central PA pretty much all season so far, I've been running the stove at low idle almost all the time. And the corners of the NZ3000 get blackened quite often when I don't have the stove cranking....

I've been using the razor blade in a good metal holder (like the ones the auto shops use to remove inspection stickers from the windshield), does a great job and can be done even when the glass is hot (the fire pretty much rarely goes out). When I do let the fire go out I always give it a good vinegar/ash/clinker dust scrubbing with a magic eraser, that makes the glass look brand new.

Stihl Kicking likes this.
  14. Eckie

Eckie

We need that sign at work, but in farsi, and whatever else Afg's speak...

Stihl Kicking likes this.