In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

or flush the new toilets twice/run the dishwasher on the 2 hour cycle doesn't add up either.

2. bogieb

bogieb

OMG, by the time I quit typing, this turned into a book :emb:

Fujitsu. Keep in mind, that I went with more than what this place should need according to the 960 square footage. Most people that quoted told me one 12k head in the living room would be fine for the entire house. However, I have 3 large bay windows (south and west sides), I get full sun on the south and west sides (with the top half of the siding is painted a dark brown), 2x4 construction so only has R13 insulation, low ceilings and a low roof.

Additionally, I wanted to ensure that my office was comfortable and wanted a separate head in there - it is out of the air flow and heats up quite a bit with the lights and electronics. So, I made them quote at least a 6k head in the office. So, all the quotes offered a condenser anywhere from 20k to 30k btu (depending on brand). The Mitsubishi quote had a 6k unit in the office, the Lennox quote had a 9k unit in the office and the Fujitsu quote had a 12k unit in the office (with a 15K head in the living room).

I went with what others would call overkill: 24k condenser with a 15k head in the living room and a 12k head in the office. Now I'm sure that a 9k would be fine, 6k I'm unsure about. The Fujitsu guy was also the only one that suggested putting the living room head as far over the window as possible for the air-stream to be somewhat toward the bedrooms (can't do directly over because of the header). Everyone else wanted to place it in the corner by the front door, which would aim it at the wall on the other side of the LR - I know what happens to the air that goes there (from having the Hastings pellet stove), and it just don't move without a ton of fans). The tubes go out the back toward the right side of the condenser so misses the header.

Living Room AC head.jpg

The condenser is directly below the LR head.
    Outdoor condencer mini split.jpg

The office head - the tubes go out a knock-out on the right side of the unite

Office AC head.jpg

The office piping and wires goes out the wall, then down thru the basement to come out at the condenser. I couldn't get the colors to come out right
    Office AC cables on tubing.jpg

ttdberg, mat60, Dpopps and 6 others like this.
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Got a good boomer last night, Cooled it off nicely. 92 before the storm, 75 after. :dennis:

Supposed to get the load of topsoil today. Maybe get some of the hey picked up around the house this morning while its cool out. Almost time to mow again! Started taking the bath apart yesterday. Got all the wall hung fixtures down. Start putting some holes in the walls today! If it gets too warm upstairs, I'll head to the basement and start on getting the well tank replaced. Always nice and cool in the cella! :)

Must drink beer today! But so much work to be done, My heads a spinning!

mat60, bogieb, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  4. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

Mine's a 30,000 BTU Fujitsu with one unit outside and one inside. If I were to do it again, I'd look at the multi-room models with one outside unit and multiple inside units.
    I've been told that Fujitsu and Mitsubishi are the best. The people that install them could tell you exactly what size you would need.
    They are far more powerful than the window units and the best part is they are permanent installs. No lifting every year.

savemoney, mat60, gbreda and 5 others like this.
  5. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

I have had a Fujitsu system in my place up north for about 4 years. The mini splits are extremely efficient and affordable these days. I have an 18k and a 9K. My condenser is 32k. If I had it to do again I would spend the extra $$ on the Mitsubishi.

savemoney, mat60, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  6. BHags

BHags

I don't want to get into anyone's finances, but what ballpark $ numbers are we talking about?

savemoney, mat60, gbreda and 5 others like this.
  7. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

IIRC, my system was about $3500 installed 4 years ago. One outside compressor and two heads inside. Mitsubishi will be more $$$

IHATEPROPANE, mat60, gbreda and 4 others like this.
  8. BHags

BHags

Thanks. Go Bruins!

IHATEPROPANE, mat60, gbreda and 3 others like this.
  9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Haying the old fashion way! My back only lets me do a few minutes then I gotta sit for 10! Takes way longer than I'm wanting. Plus its too freakin hot!

20210609_084408_HDR[1].jpg

Got the load of topsoil delivered and finished the front and side hay detail! Now I think I got heat stroke! Even with resting and drinking a lot! Food and a nap are in order!

20210609_090624[1].jpg

10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Stay safe J, if you get heat exhaustion tomorrow is shot :confused: Holy Cow thats a ton of grass, no wonder you call it hay!!

IHATEPROPANE, mat60, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  11. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Thanks Heidi, I called it at 11:00. Even traying to stay in the shade wrecked me. I though I was hydrating enough, But wham. Got me a dandy head ache. Had lunch, Took a cold shower and laid down for a bit.

I have to mow tomorrow, I'll just do around the house. Then work indoors or in the cool basement. Plenty of things to do inside!!

12. bogieb

bogieb

Yeah, they ain't that cheap any more. I spent about $6300 - and that was with a 6% discount for cash (places would give anywhere from 1.5% to 6% discount). Quotes were up to $8,600 with Lennox being the most expensive and Mitsubishi being the middle (Mitsubishi was in the same $ range as the Fujisu, but at 9k BTU less).

Obviously, if you only do one head, or if circumstances don't lead to needing "overkill", it would be cheaper. Also if you want one that can heat effectively during harsh winters, that is even more expensive (different outdoor units are needed for temps under 0*). As long as you get qualifying units, many state utilities have a rebate program too. For NH, it is $400 per ton, other states may vary.

mat60, wildwest, PelletHound and 4 others like this.
  13. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I have to check into what kind of rebates CT. offers. I'm kind of stuck in to why replace my oil tank(approx. $2500) or put that $$ towards mini splits or geothermal. For now, I will put some window units in and get the pellet eater in the basement connected to the existing duct work. I do see many adds for houses that have duct work blah blah blah. But with out some major cash rebates. Its not in the budget this year!!

Seeing we are getting up in age, I do need to think about what's going to happen if I can get pellets in the bunker or get do to feed the pellet eater.

Another check mark on the list is I called the propain company and told them to come get there tank! Quotes for 70 gal/year usage was bonkers. We'll stick with the electric stove with its convection oven the wifey loves. But adds another item to the list of getting a feed for the stove in place!

IHATEPROPANE, imacman, mat60 and 4 others like this.
  14. scajjr2

scajjr2

There are now DIY units available too. Pre-filled with refrigerant so you don't have to have an HVAC tech come out.

sam

IHATEPROPANE, imacman, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  15. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

Weather here has been crazy....Last Tuesday was near 100 F...Then cooled off some....then showery and cool weather off and on.

Tomorrow through the weekend there is a pretty unusually wet system supposed to roll in and soak us good..
    Still running the little stove off and on to take the chill off.
    The other day we ran it 24 hrs.
    Strange for June....Normally we are done with the stoves by the second week of June.

Trying to get major work done on the Snow cat project......Either too hot or it's raining.

Getting a good bit of work done on the new front axle assemblies.....
    Got the 400 small block Chevy block in the shop now. (Bore out to 406)
    New pistons showed up....Rods are resized and ready to go.
    We can bore the block now.
    Tore the Vortec 350 apart that I bought back in February....
    Heads are good and are going on the 406....

A piece here and there and we just keep plowing ahead.

Sold the short block from the 350 that was left over.....
    What a project......

16. gbreda

gbreda

Jeez, retirement is going to kill you :p

17. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

:BrianK:

IHATEPROPANE, imacman, mat60 and 5 others like this.
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Got the well tank change today. Only to find that the pump cant handle it at 30 psi(it won't shut off unless I drop the pressure switch to 25 psi). Old and tired like me I guess(sounds like its on its last leg anyway!). So out with it. Go pick up a 3/4 hp tomorrow. Hope to get at least 40 psi. Also plumbed it so I can add another tank in the future.

Pics to follow

IHATEPROPANE, imacman, mat60 and 5 others like this.
  19. bogieb

bogieb

Something to consider for anyone looking into getting a mini split. If you even think you may need more indoor heads than the person that does the assessment, but aren't sure, you can have them install an outdoor unit that is capable of handling that extra head but just install the amount of indoor heads that is recommended. This might come about because of the house itself, or if you are planning on an addition in the future, or if you just can't afford all the indoor unit installs at once, but may be able to work it into the budget next year.

If you find you need that additional indoor unit, then you are all set and all they have to do is install it. If not, you have spent a little more money (but really, not much). But if your outdoor unit doesn't have the capability, and you find you need it, then you are basically starting from square on as far as cost in equipment, labor etc.

Don't be afraid to tell the person what you are thinking and ask for different quotes. I had everyone that came out work up a couple of quotes for different scenarios.

This is an excellent suggestion for those that are much more handy than I. Then you just have to line up an electrician in order for the guarantee to be in effect.

IHATEPROPANE, imacman, mat60 and 6 others like this.
  20. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

Ahhh...
    Getting ready for the 675hp LS transplant...

Dan