In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Generators?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by JackHammer, May 18, 2021.

1. JackHammer

JackHammer

Can someone demystify generators for me? I have seen the gas genes, and now I am seeing inverter generators. It seems like they both run on gas or liquid propane. Are inverters really that much quieter?

My place lost power a few times this last winter and maybe it would be a good thing to have. I am also thinking that they might be on sale as the winter power outages have stopped.

During an outage, I would be looking to keep the fridge/freezer running, that's about it.

2. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Inverter generators provide clean AC power
    You can't go wrong with a Honda 2200i

3. JackHammer

JackHammer

Are they that much quieter than a regular one?

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Generally, yes...especially if not fully loaded and in "economy" mode...where the engine only runs as fast as it needs to satisfy the load...much better fuel economy this way too. Standard gennys have to run at full speed all the time to make 60 hertz power...but inverter gennys are a whole different animal.

5. bushpilot

bushpilot

Inverter generators are really nice, but quite a bit more pricey. I have a "regular" generator, and it works great for me.

6. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I went inverter about a year or so ago.
    I purchased a cheaper Champion that will power the whole house if needed and also a Honda 2200i.
    My original plan was for just the Honda but then after I bought that one I decided that I really wanted to be able to power the house and garage if the need ever comes up so I purchased the Champion and wired the house to be able to just flip a switch plug it in and go.
    Honda will get plenty of use at the race-track and always a good backup for home.

7. BCB

BCB

The inverter gens are cool. With the few times a year I use my gen I couldnt justify upgrading with the price tag on them.
    I have a Generac GP6500 that I converted to run on propane and natural gas. I'm happy I dont have to worry about storing it long term now.

I'm not sure if they make tri-fuel inverter gens but I would suggest checking into a tri-fuel unit. Propane / Nat gas has it's advantages over gasoline though I will get about 2 hours less run time on a 20# propane tank vs a full tank of gas. But not having to deal w storing gas or worried about a gummed up carb is worth it for me. Eventually I'd like to run a NG pipe from the basement to the outside and put on a quick connect.

8. Casper

Casper

This place sells tri-fuel kits for most gasoline gennys. I bought one for my ef2800i Yamaha, just didn't get the chance to install it yet.

Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas.

Stock pic:
    Screenshot_20210525-001622_Amazon Shopping.jpg

9. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

This all depends on what you intend to use the unit for. Which is why many have two generators.

Standard generators give a lot of power for the money. Good ones produce clean power and run relatively quiet. By quiet, I mean your sub-division neighbors will know your generator is running but someone 1/4 mile away may not. These units are best suited to contractor-type use or whole home backup in case of storm outages where you need well-water, heat, possibly AC depending on climate, and to be able to judiciously run electric cooking appliances.

Inverter units generally ARE that much quieter than standard generators. You may not even be able to hear it running after going back inside the house. Cheaper inverters can be pretty noisy when running at full load however. The small 2000-2500 watt units are 1-man portable, and able to run just about any single appliance you can plug into them. As mentioned, they don't necessarily need to run full-speed, so they can save a bunch of fuel and their design normally produces very clean power that's electronics safe. They're perfect for camping/tailgating, single tool use (contractors/DIYr's), and light-duty needs for power outages like keeping the fridge/freezer powered and running the TV. For storm outages, they make great overnight units to keep the essentials powered and not have to run a larger, louder, and thirstier unit overnight.

They do make 5000+ watt inverter units but be prepared to spend some serious beans. Those units are fantastic where noise is a primary consideration and running costs matter too. (Food trucks and large RV's for example)

LongShot, T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  10. billb3

billb3

They can be. The inverter allows variability of engine speed, so throttled down, most engines are running quieter. Throttled down can often be more fuel efficient.

11. Warner

Warner

image.jpg Super quiet, sips fuel in Eco mode. Only two problem for me is it won’t run the submersible well pump and other “necessities” in the house ( freezers and refrigerator).

and the price tag…

12. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

I understand the well pump. Probably 220. But 23 amps will handle a fridge and a freezer.

13. Warner

Warner

Yup, the well is 220 and the genny is not capable.

it will run the house needs otherwise, my post was a bit misleading.

14. Warner

Warner

It also has no problem running the 4 lightbulbs and two outlets at the off grid cabin. Cant wait to get there tomorrow!

15. JackHammer

JackHammer

I was wondering why the box on my well pump said 220.... :picard:

16. Highbeam

Highbeam

Great news, other companies including the reputable harbor freight predator, have released big 240 volt inverter generators. You’re no longer stuck with just 120 volt inverters.

Inverters are much quieter, much better quality power, easier on fuel, and very much worth the upcharge. Only the Honda/Yamaha lines significantly gouge you for inverters but their standard open frame sets are pretty expensive too.

I was reading about the 9000 watt predator inverter recently. 17 hour run time on one tank. Similarly powerful open frame gensets typically would only run for 10-12 per tank.

I just changed the oil in my 2800 watt champion inverter genset yesterday. It’s a 2015 model and has been awesome for home backup and RV camping running the air conditioning in triple digits.

I would not waste money on an old school open frame genset unless it’s an emergency.

T.Jeff Veal, Horkn, Semipro and 5 others like this.
  17. BCB

BCB

I picked up a champion 4250 dual fuel inverter generator (200914). Couldn’t beat the price for that much power. $700 on Amazon.

I’ll be using this on my school bus camper conversion.

18. bushpilot

bushpilot

That seems to be a great price!

19. Highbeam

Highbeam

I also just ordered a new champion inverter genset. I chose the little 2500 watt dual fuel suitcase genset. 11.5 hours per 1.1 gallon gasoline fill. It will be my all day long working from home when the power is out genset. Probably won’t run the RV’s AC but I still have the 3100/2800 big guy for that.

20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Have not seen here yet got a pic??

Screwloose likes this.