In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

NEED FEEDBACK ON WOOD SPLITTERS!

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Country Boy Chronicles, Feb 17, 2021.

1. MikeyB

MikeyB

Well done. Never heard of a dual fuel splitter.
    Very cool.

amateur cutter and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

What a great side income for a person with many years of experience :tip:

3. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

X2. However, in my experience RuggedMade has three major faults. 1. The hitch is on the wrong end for a pass-through splitter. 2. Axles are weak and welded to the hydro tank. They bend easily and RM will not honor their warranty on the axles. A solid axle, not attached to the tank, would be a better option. 3. The axle/tank assembly is not set to a balance point between engine weight and beam weight. Other than that (after a few modifications) it's a pretty decent design.

Horkn, amateur cutter and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Amateur "Buster" Cutter.:whistle:

5. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I ain't afraid to use em Tim, you know that.:D

Chvymn99, T.Jeff Veal and Horkn like this.
  6. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

So when would you like to start building mine?

7. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Spot on! I will add that for my purposes the 4 way wedge makes the splits to small as well.

Chvymn99, T.Jeff Veal and Horkn like this.
  8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Me too.

Chvymn99, amateur cutter and Horkn like this.
  9. bushpilot

bushpilot

I wish my generator had one. Oh, wait...

amateur cutter and Horkn like this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

Lol.

Jump pack then, plug the Genny into that, and but the button.

amateur cutter likes this.
  11. fuelrod

fuelrod

I had to look up "axis type" also, turns out that's what I built over 30 years ago :salute:
    Now it was sort of by accident in that I wanted it to be vertical/horizontal. In the horizontal position (that it's used in 99.99% of the time) for countless hours in the past 30+ years I've come to realize how much work and movement it saves not to chase and pull your wood back for subsequent splits with the log stationary and the wedge traveling through your log. Quartering means 2 strokes and a 1/4 turn of the log. I'm strangely fussy about the size of splits and not in a rush, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be happy with a 4 way wedge.
    To the OP, depending on the scale you're shop is looking for (number of units built and sold)
    I'd test the waters with a very solid base unit (with the operator standing upright) with a Honda motor and good components that was designed with a log lift and tables that could be fitted to this "base" unit. Adding one or both of these would be a good sales point if the customer could easily retrofit himself, but that's more of a marketing decision as they reserve these as part of a model "line".
    Seems like the economy splitter market is full and wouldn't be profitable for a sideline and there's quite a few customers who'll shell out $2500 and up for a quality machine. One step at a time and develop your line be listening to your customers.

12. JackHammer

JackHammer

I just picked up my first splitter last black Friday.

I think there is a hole in the manufacturing market. There are a lot of little electric 5-10 ton splitters and then there is the 25 from Tractor Supply that is the low end of the market for gas powered. From what I have seen, there is a range from 10 to 25 tons that is being largely overlooked by the retail market. I bought the 25 ton but what I really wanted was a gas powered 15/20 ton for about $600/700 bucks. I will use it for maybe 2-5 cords a year. I have seen a few reviews of the 25 ton that i have and these people are splitting live oak and say things like, "I don't know why I would need more power"... 25 tons is likely too much power for the job that I need done. I think champion had a mid-range that i was strongly considering. Black Friday sale at 900 bucks was good enough so I locked it in. Champion was about 7 or 8 for about half the power. If it was closer to 550/6, I would have picked that.

As a good value add, there is a removable shelf / log holder. They are typically sold separately but I think people really like them. That might be a feature you should include if it makes sense financially.

Ps, I am a data analyst and look at retail market share profiles all the time. Happy to offer un-scientific, biased, personal use anecdotes any time. :)

amateur cutter, Horkn and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  13. triptester

triptester

All the under $1000 splitters are made in China. The only component that differs between a 10 and 25 ton gas powered splitter is the size of the hydraulic cylinder. So for a $10 increase in cost they can get an extra $100 in sale price. Typically the tonnage ratings are inflated by up to 5 tons.

amateur cutter and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  14. RCBS

RCBS

If you really want to stand out...put a two-way detent on it. Auto split and auto return. Requires two handles. I operated a $15,000 Rayco brand splitter that had it and it is an absolute game changer.

Working height is important...waist level or higher.
    Under 18 second cycle time.
    Tires capable of highway speeds.
    Light enough to move around without being attached to a trailer hitch.
    Work table is critical.
    Log lift option.
    Position engine or use sheilding to keep debris off it.

15. Stlshrk

Stlshrk

triptester Probably true. :thumbs: Time, access, and wholesale/scrap/surplus pricing can save a lot of $$!

I am envious and hope to be able to retire one day. Hopefully while I still have the sense and will to tinker, fabricate, and such. :tip:
    I fear that my generation will end up working until noon on the day of our own funeral... :heidi:

T.Jeff Veal, amateur cutter and Horkn like this.
  16. fuelrod

fuelrod

Get yourself a welder now and don't look back.
    It's magic but it's not. Addictive is what it is.
    As long as you're not making a trailer or something that could hurt someone if one of your learning welds fails, it's a very handy ability to have and I find it lots of fun.

17. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

I have to 2nd this. From brazing something together with coat hangers and an oxygen acetylene torch to mig welding a splitter hinge back on, its so convenient to have and to use a welder as a ready there tool.

I’ve scraped up a Tig and all the stuff needed to start trying it just haven’t been able to get time. Already have mig and a plasma cutter. Sold my old arc tombstone after getting the mig.

Go get an inverter welder and have some fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. fuelrod

fuelrod

I believe (sadly) that's a good way to get sued right into the poor house in today's society.
    Look at the mandated stupidly in a simple lawnmower. Weather it was the government or the manufacturers legal dept. ruling, It's still a big consideration.
    I've been thinking of swapping out my old simple no detent valve and looking at surplus centerscatalog Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com
    You'll see the warnings and that's on a loose component, not something you just add gas and go to work with.

19. JackHammer

JackHammer

Might be true, but that doesn't mean there isn't a hole in the pro-sumer category. If I were looking to launch a new product, I would find a customer and hole in the market.

20. Country Boy Chronicles

Country Boy Chronicles

Awesome replies by everyone! Thanks for the feedback. I'm going through the comments daily and looking at what everyone is saying, hopefully will have a plan put together soon! I will keep you all updated!