In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Let’s talk attic insulation

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Warner, Oct 4, 2020.

1. billb3

billb3

I've had cellulose blown in on top of batts. Don't do it.
    One or the other.
    PITA if you have to move the mix to get at a light or something from above.

I would look into the soffit/roof vent situation.

2. mat60

mat60

Id go batts myself.. I would only blow insulation in a floor or wall I couldnt get into without allot of work.

3. Warner

Warner

The having to wade through the blown in is what turns me off.

brenndatomu likes this.
  4. Warner

Warner

Are soffit vents needed if there are gable vents?

billb3 and brenndatomu like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Use my above reply to build a "catwalk" where you would normally walk?
    Soffit and ridge work the best because it uses "chimney effect" to cool the roof...the more directly and focused you can provide a source of cool air that is directed "up and out" the better IMO...but I'm no attic expert, just have done a ton of research on it while trying to decide how to handle insulating mine.

6. Warner

Warner

Hmm... I’m not sure if the ridge got vented when the metal went on the roof. I’ll have to take a look at that. I wouldnt be a big deal to drill some holes in the soffit and put some Vents in.

I picked up some caps and spray foam for the recessed cans and other openings in the ceiling. I’ll do a better inspection while I’m up there doing that.

7. billb3

billb3

Gable vents supposedly never worked except for maybe when the wind was blowing from just the right direction. Or maybe minimally effective is the bettger way of putting it. Soffit venting is supposed to be like the intake of a wood stove and the ridge vent like a chimney.
    I have gable vents. At one point years ago they put metal vents in the roof and covered up the gable vents. When I redid the roofing 5 or 6 years ago I added soffit vents, ridge vent and freed the gable end vents. Some say I should have left the gable vents covered but I figure every bit of venting helps if they are functioning as exhaust vents rather than intake vents. If they tend to function as intakes with soffit/ridge then I'm wrong.

Shoveling blown in insulation like snow isn't so bad. shoveling it on top of batts is messy, messy, messy.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  8. Warner

Warner

Yeah I’m not planning on removing the existing batts so...

9. Warner

Warner

The gable vents are doing something I had to gin up there last winter and it was cold af up there.

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Gable vents do work...just poorly...rely on breeze more so than the chimney effect of soffit/ridge vents

huskihl, mat60 and Warner like this.
  11. Warner

Warner

So, I’m not sure that it would be possible to do soffit vents in the front of the house as there is a knee wall the length of the front on the inside and a 3rd of that outside is a porch. So would only having the soffit vents on the back side of the house only be effective.

Here’s the start some hats and some foam. 111570F8-1690-4758-8664-FFAC579E21E5.jpeg

Wife is starting to back pedal on the recessed light. She didn’t think it would turn into a project. I may not have to go up there after all! Lol

brenndatomu likes this.
  12. Geoff C

Geoff C

Anything with batts im a big fan of Roxul over fiberglass. Great sound Deadening and critters don’t make nests In it. Also better at stopping air transfer

brenndatomu likes this.
  13. Warner

Warner

Any idea what the $ difference is per sqft?

brenndatomu likes this.
  14. BDF

BDF

Yeah, whenever my wife starts a sentence having anything to do with the house or property with the word "just....." run.... run for your life, run like you mean it. 'Cause that 'just' is going to take 10 minutes plus two weeks, cost between $1.50 and $2,000.00 and cause at least one of us to use most of our very worst words. Sometimes it causes me to use all of my very worst words in new and interesting combinations.

Every. Single. Time. And we have been married nearly 40 yrs.

Brian (who is 'just' sitting at his desk)

Chvymn99, brenndatomu and Warner like this.
  15. Semipro

Semipro

Foaming the roof may be a good solution, especially for a cape cod. It will bring all the knee wall space into conditioned space.
    I hope there was a misunderstanding with the doing both though, the roof and the blown-in floor. There is no reason to do both.
    The nice thing about doing the roof with foam is that you don't need to worry about knee wall insulation, floor insulation, or ventilating the attic.
    Its something to consider.

16. Semipro

Semipro

I love Roxul but so do the mice. While they may not nest "in" it, they are certainly happy to carry it elsewhere to make a nest.
    I regularly open a toolbox drawer to find mouse nests made of Roxul.
    I'm not discouraging your use of Roxul, just tempering some expectations.

brenndatomu likes this.
  17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Familiar with Air Krete at all? Spray foam without any of the drawbacks (except for cost)
    Home | Airkrete - All Green Light Weight Cement Insulation!

18. huskihl

huskihl

Not completely sold yet on the spray foam against the bottom of the roof. It’s relatively new, at least around here. Several builders who have dealt with roofing and insulation their whole lives are wondering what the roof sheeting is going to be like in 15 or 20 years with wood sealed between ice & water shield on one side and 6” of spray foam on the other. 20 winters of 10*on the outside and 75° 6 inches away on the inside is probably hard to duplicate in laboratory testing

brenndatomu likes this.
  19. huskihl

huskihl

Plus, 2 x 6 rafters on a Cape Cod are the devil. No one in their right mind would ever build something like that

brenndatomu likes this.
  20. Warner

Warner

I spoke with the guy for quite a while there was no misunderstanding on my part. Perhaps he didn’t know what he was talking about. He was obviously a salesman I doubt he had ever installed any insulation.
    While foam is probly a good solution it’s not really an option I’m considering. Mainly because I’d have to pay someone to do it. I’m the type of person that is rarely happy with other work.

Stephiedoll and brenndatomu like this.