In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Food Safety- Urgent

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Grizzly Adam, Jul 5, 2014.

  1. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    At the family reunion, word is going round that 3 frozen turkeys were out in a bath tub to thaw, no water or ice, Thursday evening. They are about to flash fry them. Should I take my clan to eat at hooters instead?
     
  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    How long were they in the danger zone? I was sanitation certified and had servsafe certification. If the turkeys were frozen, and were still somewhat frozen when starting to cook, or at the point of refrigeration, your ok. Cook so internal temp 180 deg F. If it was room temp or higher, for an hour or more..... the risk increases. Flash freeze, ok.......Flash fry- would shut a restaurant down real quick.
     
  3. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    It's a turkey fryer. I don't know how long it was in the danger zone.
     
  4. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Well, as long as its not slimy or stinky, and the turkey was frozen enough in the center to keep the rest of the meat cold, hopefully all is well. Ice water would have taken only slightly longer, but would have been safer. Good luck.....:)
     
  5. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    My vote is for Hooters either way..................
     
  6. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Never been, but if those are your choices, I'm thinkin' Hooters should be a priority.
    What does your wife say?
     
    Well Seasoned and Chvymn99 like this.
  7. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,500
    Likes Received:
    113,880
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Food poisoning ain't no fun. If there's any doubt... Those Orange outfits would be my bet... Good luck...
     
  8. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Not actually a hooters Around here, we are on our way to a Vietnamese Tea House.
     
    mattjm1017 and Chvymn99 like this.
  9. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Tea isn't very filling.
    Better go get a Big Mac first.:D
     
  10. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    No sign of the tea house. At Milwaukee burger company.
     
    papadave, Well Seasoned and Chvymn99 like this.
  11. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Well one of should go to Hooters and take some pics.:D
     
  12. mattjm1017

    mattjm1017

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,825
    Likes Received:
    3,262
    Location:
    North Eastern North Cackalacky
    I wouldnt eat food thats been thawing out in a bathtub since Thursday:eek: That just doesnt sound safe at all. Good call in leaving to find safer food.
     
  13. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    You made the right decision. USDA says it was safe for two hours on a sanitary surface. Unless you could tell me how that tub was sanitized prior to the turkey's going in it I wouldn't give it 5 seconds.
     
  14. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    There's a Hooters down the road in LaCrosse....or so I've been told