In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Optimum time of day and length of time to run pool filter pump?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Jun 26, 2020.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    When do you run your pool filter?
    I am trying to find the best time to run thepool filter with timer.
    They say 2 cycles of water change is minimum for 1 day.
    So you take the gallons from a pool water https://www.orcity.org/sites/default/files/swimming_pool_water_estimator.pdf
    This 18 ‘ round 52” high pool is 16,600 gallons
    Divide by the filter pump flow rate, so for my Haywood 1.0 HP motor and 2” hose about 52 GPM which is 3,120 GPH
    Pool Pump Sizing - Pool Plaza
    16,600/3,120 = 5.32 hours for 1 cycle and 10.64 hours for 2 cycles so at least 11 hours per day and the more night time hours when electric rates are low the better, but should be on when the pool is in use. Since we swim mostly after work then
    4 pm to 3 am in the morning may be a good plan?
    On weekends if we swim earlier then I can flip the lever to on earlier in the day. :)
    Any comments?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  2. timusp40

timusp40

Something is not
    Don2222. Something not adding up here. A 18' pool 52" deep is about 8,600 gallons. ???

stuckinthemuck likes this.
  3. don2222

don2222

I just checked another web site for the calculation.
    See pic below
    Mine is 52” deep which is 4.33 feet so
    18’ x 18’ x 4.33’ x 5.9 = 8,283.6 Gallons
    So this chart in this URL must be correct.
    https://www.orcity.org/sites/default/files/swimming_pool_water_estimator.pdf

Attached Files:

4. jrider

jrider

My pool is 38,000 gallons. I run it 8 hours a day 8am-4pm. Best results are to run it during the day. If you’re worried about saving on electric, you shouldn’t have gotten a pool. And I don’t mean that to be a jerk it’s just the way it is...pools are great for the right people but they cost money.

5. don2222

don2222

The cost is why I did not get an in ground pool. I have had this 18’ round pool for approx 25’years and just replaced the 15 year old liner for approx $600 to get it going this year, so the cost has not been too bad. Both of my kids learned to swim in it which I felt was necessary. We all still use it so I feel I got my money’s worth.
    Just trying to cut a few corners due to the effects from “the Bug” stuff.
    Pool liner does not hold water anymore - replace?

6. timusp40

timusp40

Yes, more accurate Don.
    Our above ground is 24' and I dished out the center for a expandable liner. I run the pump for 12 hours a day. 6am to 6pm. Its been my experience that more important is establishing your water check routine. If the chlorine, PH and alkinility levels are close to recommended levels, enjoy your pool!! One more thing Don, don't forget the algaecide in this hot weather.

Canadian border VT and don2222 like this.
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Don your in New Hampshire you only got 7 weeks left anyway..

stuckinthemuck likes this.
  8. don2222

don2222

Yes, the southern edge next to Mass but that is more than Vermonters get :)

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

We had 20 foot above maybe 24 it was 1ok gallons.. unfortunately, it was installed on top of septic D box so 4 years ago it got torn down

10. chainsawsoldier

chainsawsoldier

We have a cheap Walmart above ground pool and usually leave the pump running continuously. We had a Hayward pump on the last pool and had it on a timer to go on and off every 3 hours.

Canadian border VT likes this.
  11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Look to upgrade that pump you can find then used cheap if pool is any size

12. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

We have a cheap 16’ x 48” round pool. It is underfilled to allow for rain and kids. So probably 4500 gallons. Started with the paper filter that came with it. If the pool got away from us with algae, there was no recovery. Had to drain me start over. Upgraded to a salt water system with sand filter. Tried the first few years to save money running just 3-4 hours per day. This year, leave it on 6 hours per day and it’s doing just fine. Takes 120 lbs of salt each year as we take it down and store in the basement for the winter. Also add a pound of cyanuric acid as a chlorine stabilizer. We use a solar cover to keep it warm and reduce chlorine loss. Also have a home made pool heater for early in the season.

here is our system. Had a problem with the timer and Intex sent a whole new pump no questions asked. So they were good on the warranty.

Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28675, 110-120V with GFCI (2019)

For chlorine production it is best to run one continuous time per day. We can also push the boost button which is like shocking the pool and runs for 4 times the programmed time.. so if I push it, it runs for 24 hours.

We also use Eternabond to plug holes.. it can be applied underwater (which I did this year) without draining the pool which is nice.

EternaBond

Pool heater at work while filling. Raises the water temp by 10 degrees as the pool is being filled and operates on branch wood just fine... 60’ of copper pipe stuffed in there.

3A39F9E5-94F1-4B65-9C66-E3DBC9A8AF82.jpeg

don2222 likes this.
  13. chainsawsoldier

chainsawsoldier

I still have the Hayward pump and sand filter over in the storage shed. When the cheap factory pump/filter fails, I will change it over.

Canadian border VT likes this.