In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Overcome, improvise, adapt

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Timberdog, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Timberdog

Timberdog

So I wanted to use my firewood permit and go cut in the forest this afternoon but the forest is under a Stage 2 fire restriction which prohibits me from using “a chainsaw or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine between the hours of 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM.” so......
    I now have a small inexpensive Harbor Freight cheapie electric chain saw I got to trim off limbs before I buck the main trunk and for other small trim work so being the firewood addict I am, I had to get my fix. So I thought I would try my little 10” electric saw. I was quite impressed. I was expecting to make only 3 or4 cuts before it gave out. But I made 6 per battery and I have 2 so I was able to cut a dozen rounds and nearly fill my small compact pick up truck bed with Douglas Fir. Took a little longer than my Stihl and I had to make two cuts with the short bar but I managed to secure a good haul for my fix. A nice little back-up saw.

Attached Files:

2. Chaz

Chaz

Wood's in the truck
    I'd say it worked out well.
    :yes:

Gonna get a couple more batteries?
    Or just charge n go

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Yea, the battery saws have came a long ways in recent years... I really like mine... Nice job on the wood gettin' too...

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Hey were addicts, uh, i mean hoarders right? We find a way to get our fix.:woodsign:
    I bought a DeWalt pole saw in April and have used it a few times and am impressed with it. Had three batteries already so it helped as i bought the bare tool. Thought about getting the battery chain saw.
    When you bring a PU full of batteries then there may be a problem!:rofl: :lol:
    Great job Timberdog :thumbs:

5. JPDavis

JPDavis

In my area we can go to the fire dept. and get a day permit to cut on residential property, we call in with our name and the address we are cutting at then at the end of the job we call in and tell the fire dept. we are done. We have to bring a fire extinguisher, shovel and have a garden hose nearby. We're also suppose to have a designated person to watch the process making sure that a fire isn't started. If you're cutting in the National Forest, I'm not sure if they use similar guidelines, But I've had to use battery powered saws this time of year before the monsoons arrive and it can be a pita. That little saw has some power to get through rounds that big in diameter.

6. Eckie

Eckie

Is this just to cut at your housein your yard or what? Does the garden hose have to have a water supply..or do you just have to have a hose? Does your area get any/many fires started from chainsaws? Is that a hitting rocks and sparking thing, or hot saws/mufflers/ spark arrester thing? I am a bit baffled by that process/need...

7. tamarack

tamarack

Ya Arizona must not have got much snowpack in the high elevations. Here in eastern Oregon I think we will make July 10th or so before they put on the 1 pm shutdown. Electric chainsaw? That's a great idea you had to get around the fire restrictions.

8. Eckie

Eckie

What does that shutdown mean?

9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Timberdog I'm sure you are happy you got that saw now. Maybe time to get an extra battery now too.

10. Timberdog

Timberdog

Might get one more if they don’t lift the fire restrictions soon.

11. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

Good job getting your fix! How heavy are the rounds? Could you cut them twice as long and halve them at home?

12. Timberdog

Timberdog

Naw, it’s easier on my back to cut them to 18” before I get home. They are pretty heavy —too heavy to lift two at once and injure myself.

13. tamarack

tamarack

It's a restriction on chainsaws, mechanized logging equipment, welding, and cutting torches. These are prohibited from 1 pm to 5am during the level 3 caution level. Also no campfires or briquet BBQ's. This is on USFS land. Probably varies a bit from State to state.

14. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Great way to adapt and overcome.
    Good load of wood too.

15. Ron T

Ron T

What are the penalties for non compliance.

16. Screwloose

Screwloose

I was just cutting yesterday and I was watching chips landing on my muffler and sparking away. I can surely see it starting a fire.

17. Timberdog

Timberdog

Nothing I like. Fines, confiscation of equipment, liabilities to damages...And I don’t want to be the idiot who breaks the rules and then starts a forest fire.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  18. tamarack

tamarack

The majority of the wildland fires are started by lightning. Unattended campfires probably in second place. The rules certainly make sense when the Forest lands get very dry in late summer.

19. Screwloose

Screwloose

Your face on TV.......for some firewood.

20. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Yea, nothing like burning a few thousand acres for a truck load of wood.