In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Just a word of caution

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by dahmer, May 20, 2020.

1. dahmer

dahmer

Finished splitting last years oak tonight. Rolled a 22” round, 20” long into the splitter and saw that we had flush cut a 10” limb off. I usually turn the limb cuts 90* from the wedge. Pulled the lever and the ram started in. Kept going slower and slower until I was just about to back it off when the round exploded in half throwing each half 2’ to either side of the splitter. I’m 40 yards from the house, brick, and my wife heard it. She came running out to see what happened and if I was ok, it was that loud. Had stuff pop on me before but never to this magnitude. If I had a leg sticking out from my seat or somebody standing there could have been bad news. Just a heads up for others.

2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Thanks, happened a few times here, sometimes there's that rogue round or split. Good advice!

3. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

I’m glad to hear all is well. It’s a good reminder for everyone. Those limb pieces can get dicey. If the wedge seems to be struggling, back off it and put that piece aside. Way more trouble than it’s worth.

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Scary stuff. Making firewood can be dangerous even when you least expect it. Glad you are okay. Couldve been a lot worse.

5. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Be careful! I had a maple knot pop last week and a softball sized chunk sailed past my head and landed about ten feet behind me! Must be something in the hoarder air!

6. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Last week my neighbor had that to happen to him, only he lost about on inch of his left little finger. block threw his hand into another block that was on the table. I try to stand aside on blocks like that.

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think we have all had rounds that tried to take out the family jewels, or just sucker punch in the gut or legs. I had one pop and smash the end of my finger...that one could have been bad!
    Don't know that I have had one this large go flying that far though! :eek:
    Stay safe out there y'all! :handshake:

T.Jeff Veal, Midwinter, Maina and 9 others like this.
  8. Screwloose

Screwloose

I've said this before but I had a friend get a shiner the day before his wedding from a chunk.

T.Jeff Veal, Midwinter, Maina and 9 others like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Not sure if a black eye, or black/blue "jewel box" would be worse for your wedding day...either way :startled:

10. dahmer

dahmer

Black eye would be worse. You should have the rest of your life to use the jewel box, you only get one chance for a wedding pic. She wouldn’t like the black eye in a pic.

11. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Glad for no injuries dahmer :yes:
    Except maybe a strained pucker....:zip:

I split limb nubs in line with wedge. Not had any problems doing that.
    I get the occasional ball whack when splitting branch wood under 3-4 inches. :picard:

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Meh, they can photoshop it out ;) :whistle: :D
    Course your ornery BIL will not do that on his pics...and never let you live it down...:picard: :rofl: :lol:

13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I've found soft maple and white oak to be the worst for those things.

14. JCMC

JCMC

Yes it can be dangerous. I took one to the hip about a month ago bruise just went away.

15. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

90144DB5-5095-4553-8B0E-9CFD7335EDD7.png That’s why we only use softwood for cribbing on the fire department. Mostly pine and Douglass fir 4x4’s. Cribbing is wood blocks that we use to stabilize car wrecks, heavy machinery accidents etc. Softwood will crush slightly under extreme pressure, but won’t explode. Hardwood can explode under pressure. Firefighters have been hurt in the past from ruptured hardwood cribbing.

I didn’t take the picture. It’s just an example of wood cribbing being used.

tamarack, dahmer, Screwloose and 10 others like this.
  16. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I can’t imagine how that car got in that position.... other than a tornado...

17. SD Steve

SD Steve

Just as long as you didn't get hurt. Tools and equipment are replaceable. Your health and well-being are not. I too have had almost explosive splits, mostly with pines or spruces. Even my little 5 ton table top splitter can do some serious damage. The manual for my splitter says not to try and split a round bigger than 10 inches but check this ponderosa round out. It was roughly 20. 20200420_162615.jpg

tamarack, dahmer, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  18. Maina

Maina

I always wear my safety helmet and shield when I split just in case, and I want the ear protection. I have enough ringing in my ears already. Shin guards would be nice on occasion. I have worn chaps a few times but they’re hot.

19. Stinny

Stinny

That's quite an accident scene... car must have been rockin when it happened. Landed on top of the boat and flipped a tire onto the roof... wow... o_O

Yep... have had splits splode on me too. Gets yer attention...

20. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

A local friend of mine was splitting wood with his wife years ago and something similar happened, but the exploding piece of wood hit his wife in the face and knocked her teeth out as well as broke her jaw. .....

Maina, dahmer and Screwloose like this.