In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dirty Score

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by ReelFaster, Nov 15, 2019.

1. farmer steve

farmer steve

I looked at the pics on my phone yesterday and thought maple but seein the pics on the 'puter agree with the tree of heaven.

2. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Thanks everyone really great info as always on FHC. Here is another pic of the other wood I am trying to ID. Sorry not much else to go on was just in the pile and was easy to throw into the truck.

20191115_145813_00000.jpg

3. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Also to note on the mysterious wood it had some purple on some of the tips, I assume some type of fungus but never seen it that bright. I'll try and see if I can get a pic of that too. Its all going to get burnt so not a biggie, but just curious. Thanks all!

4. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Since I process log cut offs, the pieces are much larger than most deal with. As I said before it is mighty dirty. So the technique to cut very dirty wood is, Plunge cut, (I am using .404 with a hard nosed bar) about a 1/4 way down the log, bore till you are almost to the other side of the log but do not break through. Then cut all the way to the bottom, break through just before the ground and cut all the way. Then with the tip out of the log cut all the way to the top throwing all the dirt away from the power head. You won't get the bar pinched this way either. By having the tip inside the log almost the entire time, very little dirt is being hit by the chain and pulled into the cut. This much bore cutting isn't for a novice or roller tip bars either.