In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chimney liner question

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jerhurt, Nov 2, 2019.

1. webby3650

webby3650

I’m really confused now. I thought we were discussing the installation of a 6” liner in an 8x11 clay tile?

Horkn, NVhunter and brenndatomu like this.
  2. Hoytman

Hoytman

God forbid I’d want a Kuma Sequioa stove...same 8” opening. I’m fine so long as I leave the clay. A showroom salesman tried to tell me they had to use ss with the new install until I asked why that truck load of block and clay just left the lot. He smiled. That’s what I thought. Showroom sales rep’s name is
    Earny, but I didn’t talk to him. Little short guy with a mustache. I talked to the younger guy.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  3. webby3650

webby3650

When did this become your thread? We were discussing the OPs situation. He’s having a 6” liner installed into an 8”x11” tile. When did it all switch your installation? I never knew that’s what we were discussing. Feel free to start a new thread. Maybe you can get the answers you are looking for?

brenndatomu, Chaz and Horkn like this.
  4. Hoytman

Hoytman

No need to defer...I don’t even care about that scenario...it doesn’t pertain to me. My masonry clears by 2”. Again, he brought something specific to the table, but at least talk about it, show us some links to codes or something. I’m fine to talk about that...just don’t compare that with what I’ve said. That’s all, because it’s not the same.

Man...you guys are a rough crowd. Good thing I am patient.

5. Hoytman

Hoytman

It’s not my thread. Where did I say it was? There you go again...twisting my words to fit what you think I said. Ughhh...

You are the guy that questioned my comments. I never asked you to reply to me or what I said.

Do you have a man filter at all. Don’t like me or my comments don’t read them. It’s that simple.

6. webby3650

webby3650

No problem, you’ll never hear from me again.

eatonpcat and blacktail like this.
  7. NVhunter

NVhunter

:chef:....:coffee:.... please, ..... :cheers:!!!

8. Hoytman

Hoytman

Look Sir, can’t you realize there’s probably been misunderstandings on both our parts. Why do you think I’ve hung in here? To hear myself talk? No...to work through any misunderstandings and move forward. I don’t need or want to offend anyone. I’m not angry, just asking for you and others to try and understand what I’ve said and not turn it into something else.

I made a simple statement...that I wouldn’t remove clay if it was good and I didn’t have to. On an 8”x11” putting in 6” it should be easy...any way he wants it done. Me...if the clay was good...I’d leave it and install the 6”. Why? Never know when you want to change stoves and some stoves allow for an area of a liner to be 3 times the size of the stove opening. It’s not perfect, but it’s allowed. Hitzer is but one company who allows this. I can take a picture of the manual if you want.

9. Hoytman

Hoytman

15347B48-8082-4701-86A9-C89DCD37845D.jpeg A8AE17BF-BF6E-41D8-B621-8EB8A23840E1.jpeg E8EA29F2-E0CB-4F39-81EC-35BC6288B25D.jpeg 47762B90-4806-4165-AFF3-F80F0E48C3CB.jpeg I may decide I don’t like this wood coal stove. If I change my chimney now and down size to 7” for optimum draft and take that size all the way out, then I’d have to re-buy new pipe for the BK King which is 8”.

The point...doesn’t make sense to tear out a good liner always...just as you said...and in some scenarios you may be correct...you may not be able to leave.

10. Hoytman

Hoytman

I’m not always right...I know that, but I do try and provide something concrete for people to weigh my words against when necessary.

I never said clay was superior.

I never said I did or didn’t like stainless, nor which I prefer.

I did say some folks who burn coal have had even the best rot out over time. I provided a link with pictures. That doesn’t mean all who buy it and burn coal will have problems.

It sure is strange though that most of this country hasn’t burned coal for the better part of 40 years..I’m talking about the majority...yet a 65 year old mason told me today that coal and stainless can present problems...acids he said. How did he know that? He’s never burned coal. Must be his experiences that taught him about it. Evidentially there must be something to it. It sort of backs up what I mentioned and found in research on forums talking with strict coal burners. Some have had no issues. It must depend greatly on cleaning it seems.

I fully realize how nice stainless is for wood burning.
    It’s quite clear I’d leave a good clay liner in where possible.

I’ll concede you may not always be able to leave it.

Have I missed anything? Please point out something I’ve said that needs clarified. I’ll do my best to do so.

I won’t resort to name calling, or silly fake accusations that can’t be backed up. I’ll keep my opinion of you to myself if I think it’s bad. I do have a filter.

Thank you both for trying your best to understand my words and thank you for your patients. No hard feelings at all.

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

:handshake: :yes:
    If you still have questions, or want to discuss your potential new install further, starting a new thread on it would be a good call, so as to not further clutter up OPs thread...although I think it's pretty much scorched Earth at this point o_O :doh:

Sorry jerhurt ! :emb:

A separate thread would also be easier to follow for someone who is reading it trying to try answer their own chimney/CTC/liner questions in the future.

wildwest, Horkn, eatonpcat and 4 others like this.
  12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Yes.
    Especially with Cat stoves.
    Woodstock recommends/(requires) 6" flues for they're stoves.
    Bigger is Not better. A smaller flue speeds the flue up. Moving the heat up the flue faster (before it can cool) helps to remove moisture faster. Moisture/creosote need to be carried away before it can condense on the liner.
    An insulated liner is more efficient at moving heat up because it retains heat

Chaz, RabbleRouser, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  13. Hoytman

Hoytman

Not disagreeing with you at all. At all...

Just throwing an observation out there to think about...

Smaller flue, faster flue air speeds, keeps chimney cleaner, stove functions better. That is optimum. I'll go along with that all day long. But...

With regard to the line above, take a look at this and compare...

Blaze King, King … look at this link, scroll down and take a look at the graph and note the 170ish* flue temps for nearly the entire burn cycle 40+ hours https://www.blazeking.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/King.pdf … I don't think these flue temps are all that fast...they're cooler. Not sure, but I think they measured those not too far up from the stove outlet...just how far I can't remember and I can't find the information. I'm sure it's out there.

This is my set-up...well, it was my grandpa's set-up...
    In place 40+ years (edit...correction...41 years...1977-78)...smoke dragon stove often burn low, but with dry...dry wood, 6" pipe from stove to 8"clay. (This is not to say clay is better...rather that often factors play a big part and every scenario and situation is different. There are some issues as can be seen...but it's worked just fine for a long time and very likely has many years left ...40+ years and no cap...probably should have one.)

I'd say 6" to 8" air flow is pretty good on this set-up. Would it look even better having been 6" all the way out...maybe...but not sure it would be noticeable. That said, for optimum draft...it should have been the same size all the way to the top. Then again...a tad oversized allows me to change stoves whenever I want.

IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0561.JPG

Lots of things going wrong with this chimney above and some things that I would do different, but lots of things to take note of as well. As I said, there are some issues. That I can see with a strong light and a big mirror...I can only see two cracked liners...one at the top, one above the thimble. I will admit it would be interesting to have a camera ran down its gullet...but over all I am thoroughly impressed. Pap never believed in a cap...these days they do. He always said you didn't need it other than keeping out moisture when not in use. Said he always meant to cover it each spring, just never did. However, he was adamant about not having a cap when it was in operation. I don't agree...but one has to admit he and the old timers he mimicked were on to something. Then again, every scenario is different.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Marvin likes this.
  14. Hoytman

Hoytman

What I find odd about the BK cat stove thingy...thinking about the air flow speeds being faster...is that I've seen a few pictures of new install with a flex SS liner that people clogged up and showed pictures to prove it. I'm describing what I seen...but I can't find those pictures at the moment. They had to be burning trash wet wood it seems, thought I can't prove that either. Just makes me wonder what was going on. The install was less than 2months old if my memory serves me and I'm wanting to say only 1 month old. Something odd was going on for sure. I would never dream that would happen...but I seen it with my own eyes...brand new stove...brand new pipe. When you compare that scenario to my actual set-up above...you'd think my chimney should look nasty huh?

15. Hoytman

Hoytman

For comparison here's my other set-up...under one roof...1969. Guess what's burned in this one?

Note the 4" solid block on this one. The brick one I believe also has 4" solid black wrapped in brick...I think. New roof has been installed, but I should have done some work to both of these first. Bad mistake on my part.
    IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0555.JPG IMG_0558.JPG IMG_0559.JPG IMG_0557.JPG

Marvin likes this.
  16. oldspark

oldspark

U guys are funny, have not posted here in a while but things have not changed too much.
    I can add I went from a 7 and a 1/4 inch clay lined chimney to a 6 inch (recommended size) insulated SS pre fab chimney and it made no difference in the operation of the stove what so ever. I wish I would have never heard of an EPA stove but that's another story.

wildwest likes this.
  17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I bought a brand new little insert to fit in our fireplace. It did not work out. Sanded & repainted the pre-epa and put that in instead. It runs as well or better with new insulated liner in chimney than it did with the old install of single wall pipe and puts out 3x heat compared to little epa insert with blower.

Yes, he said next week on Nov 2..... Did anyone mention a block off plate for him with his new liner?

Chaz, oldspark, Horkn and 1 other person like this.
  18. BHoller

BHoller

I thought you said you had a good clay liner. Neither of the chimneys you posted have anywhere near a good liner. Both should be relined with a proper insulated stainless liner

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  19. Hoytman

Hoytman

No. If you go back and re-read what I said just a few posts above about my own liner, you’ll see no less than two times that I mentioned there were issues with my liner. No need for me to quote them. If you hadn’t already seen what I said the first time you probably won’t get it a second time. The information is there. Read it. I think I was pretty straight forward with what I said about my own chimneys.

About my own chimneys pictured above...again...I said I should have done some work on both of them before putting on a new roof. I will also tell you I’m not scared of them as they are either. I will work on them when I get ready.

I said I wouldn’t remove a good clay liner. I never said mine was good...I said at least twice maybe more that mine had issues...but even with those issues it’s been working and I’m not scared of it.

20. BHoller

BHoller

Well as long as you aren't scared of it I am sure everything will be just fine. No rush at all.

Woody Stover likes this.