In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

About tree service wood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Horkn

Horkn

2. thistle

thistle

Sometime in the next week or so a big old gnarled Mulberry (is there rarely any other kind? lol) that's wrapped around an 90+yr old telephone pole against my north fence is going to be removed.Joint effort between local electric utility (who has the service lines going from it to 4 other houses) & Century Link (originally named Northwestern Bell,then Qwest) who owns the pole & has a couple landlines going elsewhere.

Big mess,about 20% of if is dead,that part to north constantly drops dead twigs on neighbors lawn,remainder has had quite a bit of storm damage through the years but remains green & healthy even with the cracks in lower trunk & several splits from ice storms in upper limbs. Its roughly 20-22" diameter at fence height. They want the pole removed & a new one installed in neighbor's big backyard 2 houses to my north to better service other customers.Mine & immediate neighbor both have our power/phone coming in from west side of us,across the street.So both of us are glad to see this dangerous old eyesore gone finally.Davey Tree Service will have to remove most of the tree first just so the utility can remove the old pole.

Best thing is I requested when signing the work order giving them permission is they'll run everything 4" & under through the chipper & leave everything else for me...So its a win-win.Guessing 2-3 pickup loads total once its all processed.

DSC05501.JPG
    DSC05503.JPG
    DSC05504.JPG DSC05502.JPG
    DSC05505.JPG
    DSC05508.JPG
    DSC05509.JPG
    DSC05510.JPG

eatonpcat, MFMc., FatBoy85 and 10 others like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

Wow, that will make a lot of great firewood, but yeah, it's a great thing that the utilities and the tree service are handling that mess.

4. thistle

thistle

Every couple years both myself & the neighbor would take turns pruning/cleaning up the overgrowth/dead twigs that dropped.2 months ago we were talking & I mentioned calling my buddy & seeing what he'd charge to take that big north limb down,leaving just enough to hold up the pole.But as luck would have it,2 guys from local utility walked down my driveway on Sep. 15,told me their plans & how after getting together with phone company,other neighbors they thought it would happen in about a month,to be sure its done before the cold weather & all the snow which happens here.

Hadnt heard back from them yet so I called last Thursday,Friday afternoon a foreman from Davey Tree came by,had nice long chat,he agreed that my requests were reasonable & made perfect sense,just had to run it by his Supervisors & would get back to me.He apparently had called right then,the office people OK'd it & he had paperwork to sign already in his truck. So now just wait for them to call to be sure I'm home that day.I wanted to be around anyway of course to direct where to put the material & make sure everything goes OK.

5. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I got it good here. I have 2 main sources. One is for log loads. The other is cut rounds.

The logs tend to be 15-24” diameter and up to 20’ long. I usually get 20-30 pieces per load, depends on how full the truck is. Crane harvested clean wood. Just need to watch for the metal hidden within.

My round guy usually brings a pick up truck or two sized loads at a time. Brush and limbs go in his chipper. Diameter is usually 10” and up. He’s hit or miss on consistent cut lengths. I gave him a Mingo marker a few years ago and if he’s on the job it will get used and the sizes will be more uniform.

Rounds come in smaller batches so it’s an easier process to get them split and stacked. With log loads I’m in charge of the cut lengths so I only get one odd sized piece per log. I get a log load every 3 years or so.

photos are repeats

Log load. I think this one was 20 pieces of wood from a 2/3 full truck.
    7B6A4117-8509-4E5F-95AC-900FCFFF43D1.jpeg F31FB295-84AC-40A0-AC1D-BDFBFEA3A85B.jpeg

pickup load (or two)

3FFDDC9A-441D-4B98-8472-C77AA8CF4C27.jpeg

eatonpcat, MFMc., FatBoy85 and 13 others like this.
  6. coreboy83

coreboy83

IMG_6288.JPG IMG_6282.JPG
    Here are my dropped off loads

MikeInMa, eatonpcat, FatBoy85 and 8 others like this.
  7. Horkn

Horkn

I'd say what we've been posting is very representative of what most tree service freebie drops are like.

Some are shorter, none are longer than 10', and for the most part free of junk.

8. coreboy83

coreboy83

Agreed. I've expected some "trash pieces",, 1 gnarly and nasty, head scratcher per load. But hey,, that's part of getting lots of free wood delivered pain free.

9. Horkn

Horkn

Yep. To be expected. I meant no rocks, punk, etc. You have to expect some parts that are splitting nightmares and need noodling.

I've got this " logatha" ash crotch that well not split. I'll noodle it and then bring the 2-3 pieces it will turn into, to my friends patio Friday night fires.

"Hold on a minute, let me get something from my truck" lol

10. Thor

Thor

Ash. My neighborhood is overwhelmed with dying/dead Ash trees.

11. Horkn

Horkn

Yep. Swimming in it here...

Not a bad thing for firewood burners though. Bummer for those of us that are losing yard trees.

12. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Ash is going to go the way of the Chestnut. Near extinct.
    Friends in PA have lost every Ash tree they had in the past three years. Couple dozen on their property and hundreds in the woods around them. Power company just took down a huge one on their property. They keep offering wood but I wouldn't take it if I could. Not importing EAB to my neighborhood. Not getting caught transporting that across state lines either.

13. Horkn

Horkn

I don't think it will be extinct. There's been some studies showing that the bug is dieing off, or moving away, and also that the young trees are growing immunity.

We had a ban here moving firewood, and they pulled it as it didn't do anything to stop it. The beetle was brought here decades ago on imported pallet wood and crates.

I wouldn't bring any ash to my house to preserve my mature ash trees. I also treated my trees. This had no effect on the bugs killing mine and my neighbors trees. I just got done splitting all of the 2 ash trees my neighbor had taken down in May. He had his trees professionally injected every year. Same result as my treated trees.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    MFMc., FatBoy85, Midwinter and 3 others like this.
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

if you have room then drop off okay. I dont so have to buck most of the time at the score. Today was an exception. Red maple rounds 3-5' long, smaller diameter. IMG_1195.JPG

bear 1998, eatonpcat, MFMc. and 5 others like this.
  15. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Haha Love saving pieces like that for pit fires. Most of any tree service drops off at least one of those kinds of cuts and it’s dead to rights that you battle it a bit before you decide, oh I got a better use for this thing. Y-cuts: answer is right in front of you, why not? They sure do last awhile too!

bear 1998 and Horkn like this.